This article is a brief guide to Christchurch music. We recommend gig guides to help you find out when and where bands and singers are playing.
Find Christchurch music in our collection
Music in Christchurch
Christchurch is a city with a strong tradition of live music and performance. Our music timeline uncovers Christchurch’s musical history.
In our collection, we have Christchurch rock music posters from the 1980s.
Christchurch has its own symphony orchestra and a wide range of other classical music performers including brass and pipe bands. For those who like to listen to music outdoors, there are raves, dance parties and popular outdoor concerts such as Sparks.
The club and live music scene sees local and international acts performing at venues throughout the region.
How to find out about local gigs and events
Christchurch newspaper The Press is a good source of local music information.
- CHART Christchurch Music Industry Trust is an essential resource for music lovers and bands.
- Eventfinder has a section listing gigs and concerts in Christchurch and Canterbury.
- Useful local gig guides and music resources include the RDU Gig Guide.
- Be There is an online events calendar and it lists some musical events.
- Cosmic Ticketing has details of upcoming gigs.
Venues, particularly in the central city and Lyttelton, were hard hit by earthquakes. Current venues include:
- Horncastle Arena
- Horncastle Arena is the largest venue in Christchurch for performances. Eventfinder list of upcoming events.
- Aurora Centre for the Performing Arts
- Auditorium seating 700 and located in the grounds of Burnside High School. Eventfinder list of upcoming events.
- The Bedford
- A long standing music venue. Event guide.
- Isaac Theatre Royal
- Fully restored theatre with seating for over 1200, used for a variety of performances including concerts. Event guide.
Histories of local venues
- The Carlton Hotel
- Christchurch Town Hall
- The Civic of Canterbury
- The Gladstone Hotel
- The Hillsborough Tavern
- The Winter Garden