Pyrotechnics, Martin Jetpacks, MSLB Simulators and YikeBikes will take over Cathedral Square on 31 October. The occasion? Science Alive's inaugural Big Science Day, an all-day Science and Technology extravaganza suitable for families and people of all ages.
The displays, demonstrations, science shows and workshops planned are too many to list, but here are some of the exhibitor highlights you can look forward to:
- EVolocity will have a roped off circuit where people can take small electric vehicles such as bikes, low powered go-karts, scooters, etc. for a spin. If you own an electric bike / scooter / motor bike / go-kart / car, EVolocity invite you to exhibit your vehicle (if you are keen to bring your vehicle along, please email email@example.com, or call Rob on 021 728 875).
- Martin Jetpack - yes, the one that can take off and land vertically!
- COBi Digital will demonstrate its aerial filming capabilities. Using the latest UAV cinema technology, a camera can be mounted on top of the drone allowing unlimited camera angles.
- MSLB Simulators will show its fully immersive, motion enabled boat simulators to recreate the experience of driving a small boat.
- Code Club Aotearoa will be running learn to code sessions for children and adults throughout the day. Build your first piece of working software and share your creation on the internet.
- YikeBike will exhibit its fully electric folding bike - check out the way in which many of us could be moving around in the not-so-far future.
As well as showcasing cool stuff and Canterbury innovation, the Big Science Day will reveal the many possible career paths in the area. Be inspired by the exciting courses offered by CPIT, the University of Canterbury and Lincoln University, and see how science and technology are used by the Police, the Defence Force and the Fire Service.
Make sure also to pop in to The Imagination Station at Cathedral Junction - if you haven't discovered it yet, it's heaven for Lego enthusiasts of all ages. There's a huge Lego pit with tens of thousands of Lego pieces, as well as a Duplo area for the wee ones, plus computers for those who like their Lego digital.
- Check the Big Science Day website for a complete list of events
- Sign up to the Big Science Day event on Facebook
- Follow @ScienceAliveNZ and #BIGSCIENCEDAY on Twitter