Christchurch City Libraries blog hosts a series of regular podcasts from New Zealand's only specialist human rights radio show Speak up - Kōrerotia. This show is created by Sally Carlton.
This episode discusses:
- Stats on organ transplants in China; why are we talking about organ harvesting now when it has been going on for decades?
- Differences between organ harvesting practices in China and elsewhere; lack of will from national governments to act; recent roundtable at New Zealand Parliament; need to apply pressure to medical and transplant professionals
- Current action; possible deterrents; public scepticism
- Actions worldwide; reasons why people might find it difficult to engage; terminology: 'organ harvesting' vs 'organ pillaging' vs 'organ executions'
The panel for this show includes host Sally Carlton, David Kilgour former Canadian MP who was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for investigating organ harvesting crimes in China, undercover journalist for book 'The Slaughter' Jaya Mangalam Gibson, and Robin Palmer (previously a specialist prosecutor of international organ harvesting operations and Professor, School of Law, University of Canterbury).
Websites mentioned in the show
- End Organ Pillaging
- Doctors Against Forced Organ Harvesting (DAFOH)
- Human Harvest documentary
- Hard to believe documentary
Find out more in our collection
- Find articles about organ harvesting in China (access with your library card & password / PIN)
- Find articles about the organ harvesting black market (access with your library card & password / PIN)