Winter is a time when many people worry about power bills and the costs of keeping their homes warm. However, there are lots of things you can do that don’t involve any cost or outlay that can save you power, and therefore money. This page lists resources to help reduce energy use.
Easy power-saving tips
- Turn off unused lights
- Turn off appliances that are on standby (e.g. televisions, computers, DVD players)
- Use cold washes
- Close doors to rooms that are not in use
- Use draught stoppers
- Use insulated curtains and window insulation
- Turn off or reduce use of heated towel rails
- Insulate your hot water cylinder
- Search for books about insulating dwellings
- Powerswitch and Whats My Number? are online services where electricity users can compare prices offered by power companies in their area to find which company offers the best deal for their situation.
- Community Energy Action has lots of tips on How to create a warmer, drier, healthier home
More power saving information
Our online resources
- Insulating your home
- Earth Day and Earth Hour
- Sustainable living guide
- Sustainability at home from Christchurch City Council
- Solid and liquid fuel burners information from the Christchurch City Council
Our Internet Gateway recommends
- Community Energy Action Online
- A charitable trust that assists low income households in Christchurch to make their homes warmer, drier and more energy efficient. Site includes an excellent page weighing the pros and cons of various forms of heating and looking at the running costs of a range of appliances.
- Promotes energy savings in the home and on the road. Run by the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority
- Fuel economy and safety rating label generator
- How much do you spend on fuel? How much can you save? From the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority (EECA).
- Find and compare the best gas and electricity options for you. From Consumer.
- Right House
- Takes a whole house approach to creating comfortable healthy and energy-efficiency homes.
- Renewable Energy
- Website links in our Internet Gateway.