Today, Queen's Birthday, marks the last public holiday until Labour day which this year falls on 26 October. That's nearly 5 months (147 days, to be exact) without a long weekend...so you'd better make this one count!
As is usual on public holidays our library branches are not open... however we always have digital goodies available, so if you find yourself short some reading material, look no further than -
- Magazines via Zinio. Blob out to your heart's content with a huge range of magazine titles, including the birthday girl's diamond jubilee souvenir magazine.
- Peruse the Queen's Honours List in the weekend papers using PressDisplay.
- Lie back and relax while someone else does the reading for you with one of our downloadable audiobooks. Whatever your tastes there's something to please everyone including The uncommon reader, a novel about HRH accidentally discovering a mobile library in the Buckingham Palace grounds as a result of chasing a wayward corgi. Indeed!
- An abundance of eBooks, both fiction and non-fiction are also available. Read a biography of Elizabeth II or go completely ficitonal with a novel about Elizabeth R taking off, incognito, on a jaunt to Scotland in Mrs Queen takes the train. Or just browse our extensive range of eBook titles.
For more information on Queen Elizabeth II:
- Queen’s Birthday holiday [kids].
- Search for Queen Elizabeth II in our collection.
- The Queen’s page, opens a new window on the official website of the British Monarchy.