This week in Christchurch history (21 to 27 September)

21 September 1867
Trout introduced from Tasmania. The ova were reared in special covered ponds built in Hagley Park next to the hospital. Salmon were introduced a year later.

23 September 1914
First Canterbury contingent sails on Tahiti and Athenic from Lyttelton for the war in Europe.

24 September 1881
Telephone exchange (the first in New Zealand) begins operation.

24 September 1960
Jellie Park Pool opens.

26 September 1897
Reading of the Riot Act to an angry crowd of about 6000 in Lichfield Street as a result of religious imposter A.B. Worthington’s “Temple of Truth” fraud. Beginning in 1890, Worthington’s sect had built a ”grecian temple“ in Latimer Square. See Disturbance in the city, The Star, 27 September 1897 via Papers Past.

26 September 1945
Charles Hazlett Upham (born Christchurch 1908) awarded second V.C. for gallantry in the Western Desert, 1942. He won his previous award in Crete during May 1941.

Charles Upham medallion on Bridge of Remembrance, CCL-2011-11-16-November2011-103-BridgeofRemembrance
Charles Upham medallion on Bridge of Remembrance, CCL-2011-11-16-November2011-103-BridgeofRemembrance

26 September 1976
Orana Park Wildlife Reserve opens.

27 September 1853
The first meeting of the Canterbury Provincial Council.

More September events in the Christchurch chronology: a timeline of Christchurch events in chronological order from pre-European times to 1989.

Kōrerorero mai - Join the conversation.

We welcome your respectful and on-topic comments and questions in this limited public forum. To find out more, please see Appropriate Use When Posting Content. Community-contributed content represents the views of the user, not those of Christchurch City Libraries