Shirley Library and Service Centre at 36 Marshland Road, beside The Palms Mall, will be closed for refurbishment from Sunday 22 March 4pm, and it is scheduled to reopen on Thursday 30 April 9am.
From 27 March, a mobile library will visit the car park every Tuesday 9.30am–11.30am, Friday 2.30pm–4.30pm, and Saturday 10am–noon.
Shirley CCC Service Desk relocated to The Palms
The Shirley Service Desk will be closed from Friday 20 March 5pm. It will be open at a temporary location at the Kmart end of The Palms mall, processing all Council payments and enquiries. Hours: Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.
New locations for some Shirley services and classes
While Shirley Library is closed:
- Shirley Book Discussion Group on the 4th Monday of the month will take place at the Shirley CCC Service Desk at The Palms
- Shirley Library Book Group on the 4th Wednesday of the month will relocate to Parklands Library
- Shirley Library Book Discussion Group on the 2nd Monday of the month will relocate to Parklands Library
- The Scrabble Club will take place at Linwood Library
- The Card Club will take place at Linwood Library
- The Family History Help class will take place at Tūranga
The closest alternative libraries for Shirley customers during the closure are Papanui, Redwood, and Tūranga. Items cannot be returned to Shirley Library while it’s closed, but all Christchurch City Libraries items may be returned to any of our libraries around the city and Banks Peninsula, including the Mobile Library.
Unless specified otherwise, holds for Shirley customers will go to Linwood Library at Eastgate.
Free wifi not available
Due to the nature of the work being carried out the wifi will not be available at Shirley Library. Free wifi is available at other Christchurch City Libraries.
About the upgrade
The work includes security camera upgrade, floor coverings, internal painting and layout changes. The Council is working with NZ Post to ensure residents in the Shirley area continue to have easy access to postal services. An agreement has been reached that will see postal and bill-paying services provided by the Shirley Service Centre from 30 April 2020.