Swimming is a great way to cool off when it’s hot — and a popular choice for people who want to stay in shape all year round. This page lists resources about water safety, events, learn-to-swim classes and more.
Water safety is a big issue in New Zealand and Christchurch has opportunities for all ages to learn to swim and how to stay safe in the water.
Beach safety tips and information from Surf Life Saving New Zealand.
- Swimming classes
- Search the CINCH directory.
- Christchurch City Council: learn to swim
- Classes at CCC facilities
- Christchurch City Council Pools information on public indoor and outdoor pools and Swimsmart learn-to-swim programmes
- Contact information for local pools, swimming clubs and organisations from CINCH
- Swimming for people with disabilities, from CINCH
Internet Gateway links
- Swimming the full Internet Gateway list of recommended links
- Swimming New Zealand — national swimming association
- Swimming water quality from Environment Canterbury
- Ocean swimming events including those in Canterbury
- Swim Coaches and Teachers of New Zealand
Resources in our libraries
- Swimming — a subject search for books and other resources
- Books about swimming for children and infants
- Biographies of swimmers
Article about swimming from the World Book Online InfoFinder. Includes water safety, basic swim strokes, swimming as a sport, and a history.
Access this with your library card number and PIN, or at our libraries.