The Olympic Games occur every four years, with winter games occurring in between each summer games and games for para-athletes associated with each. The events are overseen by an international committee who set policy in the Olympic Charter. Modern Olympism was conceived by Pierre de Coubertin at the end of the nineteenth century "...to place sport at the service of the harmonious development of humankind..".
Summer Olympic Games
Search the library catalogue
Winter Olympic Games
The Winter Olympic Games occur two years after the summer Olympics so that the two alternate every two years.
Find out about local athletes who have competed at the Olympics, including Anthony Wilding (2nd from right in the photograph shown here).
The following websites feature extensive Olympic Games coverage.
- Around The Rings (ATR)
- Leading source of independent news and information on the Olympic movement since 1992.
- Olympic Games - New Zealand Herald
- Olympics news and information on the New Zealand Herald website.
- Olympic Games - Stuff.co.nz
- Olympics news and information on the Stuff.co.nz website.
- Olympics - BBC