Access to the digital archive of the world-renowned magazine National Geographic. Coverage is from 1888 onwards up until the most recent issues.
The archive includes access to all articles, maps, images, videos and full text books available through these below publications:
- National Geographic Magazine Archive, 1888-1994;
- National Geographic Magazine Archive, 1995-Current;
- National Geographic People, Animals and the World;
- National Geographic Kids (can be searched independently of the other resources).
- Search by geographical location or subject, then limit by date;
- Browse through hundreds of stunning magazine covers;
- Undertake an image search and refine your search by image type i.e. map, cartoon, photograph;
- Enter a word or phrase to view a graph of how frequently these terms have been used in National Geographic. Watch how tobacco advertising rises and falls!
National Geographic is published in over 35 languages with a worldwide circulation in the millions. It has encouraged conservation of natural resources and raised public awareness of the importance of natural places, plants and wildlife. The National Geographic Society has funded more than 10,000 scientific research, conservation and exploration projects around the globe including; Hiram Bingham, excavator of the lost Inca city of Machu Picchu; mountain gorilla expert Dian Fossey and underwater explorer and discoverer of the sunken Titanic, Robert Ballard.