Christchurch City Libraries run programmes and events year-round including events that support local and national events such as New Zealand Music Month, KidsFest, Heritage Week and book sales. There are one-off events such as visiting authors or book launches, art exhibitions and competitions.
Classes and programmes
In addition to the annual events we have ongoing classes and programmes for everyone from babies to seniors. These include learning centres' programmes where you can get hands-on with new technologies like 3D printing, computer drop-in sessions at libraries, craft & hobby groups who meet in our libraries, Friends of the Library seminars and community support with Justices of the Peace (J.P.s), and the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB).
- All events are listed on our calendar.
- Most events are free, but some will require booking.
- To enquire about or book for any events please contact us.
Annual library events
- Lunar New Year
- Culture Galore Saturday 23 February 2019
- Christchurch Pride starts Thursday 28 February 2019
- Japan Day Sunday 3 March 2019
- Children's Day Sunday 3 March 2019
- LYFE Linwood Youth Festival Experience Saturday 9 March 2019
- Library book sale Friday 22 and Saturday 23 March 2019
- New Zealand Music Month
- New Zealand Sign Language Week starts Monday 6 May 2019
- Youth Week starts Saturday 18 May 2019
- Sāmoan Language Week starts Sunday 26 May 2019
- Matariki stars set on 27 May, and rise on 25-28 June 2019
- KidsFest 6 to 20 July 2019
- Cook Islands Language Week 29 July 2018
- Tongan Language Week 2 September 2018
- Festival of Adult Learning Ahurei Ākonga starts Monday 2 September 2019
- Te Wiki o Te Reo Māori Māori Language Week 10 to 16 September 2018
- New Zealand Chinese Language Week 22 to 28 September 2019
- Tuvalu Language Week 30 September 2018
- Beca Heritage Week October 2018
- Fiji Language Week 7 October 2018
- Niue Language Week 14 October 2018
- Tokelau Language Week 21 October 2018