Christchurch City Libraries run programmes and events year-round including events that support local and national events such as New Zealand Music Month, KidsFest, Heritage Week and our own book sales. From 2014 to 2018, we will commemorate WW100. There are also occasional one-off events such as a visiting author or book launch, and art exhibitions and competitions.
Classes and programmes
In addition to the annual events we have ongoing classes and programmes for everyone from babies to seniors. These include learning centres' programmes where you can get hands-on with new technologies like 3D printing, computer drop-in sessions at libraries, craft & hobby groups who meet in our libraries, Friends of the Library seminars and community support with Justices of the Peace (J.P.s), EQC or the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB).
- All our events are listed on our calendar.
- Most events are free, however some will require booking.
- To enquire about or book for any events please contact us.
Annual library events
- Library book sales (March)
- Children’s Day (first Sunday in March)
- Culture Galore Festival (March)
- LYFE (March)
- New Zealand Sign Language Week (May)
- New Zealand Music Month (May)
- Samoan Language Week (May)
- Matariki — Māori New Year (June)
- KidsFest (July)
- Māori Language Week (July)
- Storylines (August)
- Adult Learners’ Week (September)
- Positive Ageing Expo (September)
- Heritage Week (October)
- Events and programmes for preschoolers, school children or teens.
- Learning Centre programmes.
- About festivals, holidays, and special days.
- From 2014 to 2018, we will commemorate WW100.
Author event photos
Photos from author events. See our other event photos on Flickr.