Find books, eBooks, eAudiobooks, and resources for rainbow teens. We recommend resources that explore and celebrate the LGBTQIA+ community (LGBTQIA+ = lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and asexual).
- Recommended reading for teens
- Award winners
- LGBTQIA+ reading for teens in our collection
- More LGBTQIA+ reading for teens
- LGBTQIA+ New Zealand organisations for teens
Recommended reading for teens
Read the Rainbow with these fiction and non-fiction titles about non-binary and genderfluid people and experiences.
Read the Rainbow with these titles for teens featuring lesbian characters and experiences.
YA fiction featuring gay characters - ranging from light-hearted rom-coms to thought-provoking and intense reads.
Read the Rainbow with these books about transgender people and experiences.
A collection of books that explore LGBTQIA+ history and information for teens.
Read the Rainbow with these science fiction and fantasy books for teens.
Read the Rainbow with these thrillers and horrors for teens - these titles are exciting, and some are scary too.
A selection of graphic novels and comics for teens featuring LGBTQIA+ characters.
A list of young adult books with characters who identify across a range of different sexualities.
Rainbow reads, fiction and non-fiction, if you like to listen to eAudiobooks or read eBooks.
- Lambda Literary Awards - LGBT Children's and Young Adults
- Stonewall Book Awards – Children’s and Young Adult
LGBTQIA reading for teens in our collection
More LGBTQIA reading for teens
Out on the Shelves is an online resource that lists books with rainbow themes and characters, with the aim of supporting rainbow young people to find stories that represent their identities in positive and affirming ways. Out on the Shelves is run by InsideOUT, a national charity with the vision for all young people of minority sexualities, genders and sex characteristics in Aotearoa New Zealand to have a sense of belonging and safety in their schools and communities.
2019 Rainbow Book List
The List is a curated bibliography highlighting books with significant gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, or queer/questioning content, aimed at children and youth from birth to age 18. Rainbow Books is a joint project of the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Round Table (GLBTRT) and the Social Responsibilities Round Table (SRRT) of the American Library Association (ALA).
LGBTQIA+ New Zealand organisations for teens
- Qtopia provides support for rainbow young people in Ōtautahi Christchurch and the wider Waitaha Canterbury area.
- RainbowYOUTHopens a new window is a charitable organisation established in 1989 that works with queer and gender diverse youth as well as their wider communities to ensure that Aotearoa is a place where all young people can thrive.
- InsideOUTopens a new window is a New Zealand-wide organisation that works to make Aotearoa a safer place for all young people of minority sexualities, sexes and genders to live and be in.
- OUTLine offers face-to-face counselling specialising in gender and sexuality. You can also call them to talk to a trained member of the LGBTIQ+ community. This service is free and confidential.