School Holiday Programmes and Activities - July 2022
Join us for bookable holiday programmes and a range of drop-in activities.
School Holiday drop in fun
These programmes are free, and you can just drop in to take part.
Myths and Heroes - Teece Museum
Greek Amphora colouring in
Discover the world of ancient Greek pottery! Decorate your amphora with classical patterns or your favourite story and be in to win prizes from us and our friends at UC Teece Museum of Classical Antiquities, including a behind-the-scenes tour! Finish your amphora during your library visit or return it to Tūranga by Friday 29 July. The competition is open for tamariki and rangatahi 0 to 18. You can see Greek pottery in person these school holidays by visiting the Teece Museum, opens a new window at the Arts Centre.
Grab your sheet from Hapori | Community, Level 1 and then embark on a journey throughout Tūranga, discovering the 12 Labours of Herakles! With each labour you'll make a wood rubbing to discover an ancient image.
Myths and Heroes - Teece Museum
Rock's Backpages on Twitter: "In the Featured Artist section…" | 6388506
These programmes are free, but bookings are required.
Explore Sir Ed’s Antarctica Hut through Virtual Reality
Step inside and explore Sir Edmund Hillary’s Antarctic hut through a new and fully immersive virtual reality experience. Find out what life was like living in the coldest place on Earth back in 1957. Discover what it takes to be an Antarctic explorer without getting cold!
Ages: 9 to 17 years
- Tūranga (Spark Place): Mondays 11 July and Monday 18 July, from 10 am to 3:30 pm.
- Upper Riccarton Library (Learning Centre): Tuesday 12 and Wednesday 13 July, from 10 am to 3:30 pm.
- Linwood Library (Youth Space): Thursday 14 and Friday 15 July, from 10 am to 3:30 pm
- Te Hāpua Halswell Centre: Thursday 21 and Friday 22 July, from 10 am to 3:30 pm
My Book Bag: Cosy Edition
Get cosy this winter with a specially selected stack of reads chosen just for you!
My Book Bag is back for the winter school holidays.
Simply tell us when you register, what books you love to read and we'll make up a bag of books and other goodies to get you through those grey and rainy days.
My Book Bag's is the perfect way to discover new series and hidden gems, and get recommendations from our reading experts. With its unique flair and limited availability,
My Book Bag is also a great way to help rangatahi overcome reading slumps.
Ages: 12- 18 years
- Register from 25 June 9am to 8 July 12noon - SOLD OUT!
- Pick-up from 9 July to 17 July during library hours, opens a new window
Tuna Toi - Eel Art
Māori Library Services are pleased to offer Tuna Toi school holiday sessions at a library near you!
Come and learn about Tuna - an important food source for Kāi Tahu - with Tuna Games, Tuna Storytelling and Tuna Craft making!
Ages: 7- 12 years (recommended) Under 7 years (when accompanied by an adult)
- Tuesday 12 July 10am to 12noon Tūranga - SOLD OUT!
- Tuesday 12 July 1pm to 3pm Tūranga - SOLD OUT!
- Thursday 14 July 10am to 12noon Lyttelton
- Thursday 14 July 1pm to 3pm Lyttelton
- Tuesday 19 July 10am to 12noon Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre - SOLD OUT!
- Tuesday 19 July 1pm to 3pm Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre - SOLD OUT!
- Thursday 21 July 10am to 12noon Tūranga - SOLD OUT!
- Thursday 21 July 1pm to 3pm Tūranga - SOLD OUT!
Librarian for a Morning at Fendalton, New Brighton and South - KIDSFEST
Want to be a librarian for a morning? Love books and reading? Come and see what happens behind the scenes at your local library. Learn how to sort and shelve, use the catalogue, share stories and many other wonderful things our librarians do!
Ages: 6 to 8 years (Junior); 9 to 12 years (Intermediate)
- Thursday 14 July 9:30am to 12:30pm (Intermediate - ages 9 to 12) at Tūranga - SOLD OUT!
- Friday 15 July 9am to 12noon (Junior - ages 6 to 8) at Fendalton - SOLD OUT!
- Friday 15 July 9am to 12noon (Junior - ages 6 to 8) at South -SOLD OUT!
- Monday 18 July 9am to 12noon (Junior - ages 6 to 8) at New Brighton - SOLD OUT!
- Thursday 21 July 9:30am to 12:30pm (Junior - ages 6 to 8) at Tūranga - SOLD OUT!
- Friday 22 July 9am to 12noon (Intermediate - ages 9 to 12) at Fendalton - SOLD OUT!
Shadow Puppet Storytelling at Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre - KIDSFEST
This fun programme shows you all about shadow pupperty with fun, hands-on activities. Learn all about shadow puppetry and the history and stories behind them. You will get to make your own shadow puppets and write their stories. Finally, you will get to take turns telling the story you have written with a fun shadow play. You can work by yourself or in a group. Help with story writing and shadow puppet making is provided.
Ages: 7 to 12 years
- Tuesday 12 July 10am to 12pm - SOLD OUT!
- Monday 18 July 2pm to 4pm - SOLD OUT!
Pirates Play Find the Treasure! - KIDSFEST
Ahoy, Me Hearties!
I have hidden me treasure ‘n I don’t think ye can find it. I need ur help! Follow th’ clues tellin’ whar I have been, solve the puzzles, and complete th’ pirate challenges ‘n maybe you’ll find me treasure! Can ye rise to the challenge?
Ages: 8 to 13 years - 1 Team per session (max of 5 persons per team)
Use the button below to book your session - you will be prompted to choose from dates & times available. All sessions are at Spreydon Library.
- Monday 11 July 2:30pm to 4pm - SOLD OUT! - CANCELLED
- Tuesday 12 July 10:30am to 12noon - SOLD OUT!- CANCELLED
- Tuesday 12 July 2:30pm to 4pm - SOLD OUT!- CANCELLED
- Wednesday 13 July 10:30am to 12noon - SOLD OUT!- CANCELLED
- Wednesday 13 July 2:30pm to 4pm - SOLD OUT!- CANCELLED
- Friday 15 July 10:30am to 12noon - SOLD OUT!- CANCELLED
- Monday 18 July 2:30pm to 4pm - SOLD OUT!
- Tuesday 19 July 10:30am to 12noon - SOLD OUT!
- Tuesday 19 July 2:30pm to 4pm - SOLD OUT!
- Wednesday 20 July 10:30am to 12noon - SOLD OUT!
- Wednesday 20 July 2:30pm to 4pm - SOLD OUT!
- Friday 22 July 10:30am to 12noon - SOLD OUT!
Build your Vaka - KIDSFEST
Pacific Islanders were extraordinary explorers, navigating across the ocean in great canoes. There are many stories, designs, and names for these canoes. In some Pasifika languages they are known as vaka. Come along to learn about and build your own vaka!
Ages: 9 to 12 years
- Wednesday 20 July 1:30pm to 3:30pm Tūranga - SOLD OUT!
Frankenstein Accessories at New Brighton & South - KIDSFEST
From badges to bling, breathe new life into your trinkets and treasures.
Ages: 10 to 15 years
- Tuesday 12 July 2pm to 3:30pm at South- SOLD OUT!
- Wednesday 13 July 2pm to 4pm at New Brighton - SOLD OUT!
- Friday 22 July 2pm to 3:30pm at South - SOLD OUT!
Paid Programmes - Bookings Required
Build, paint, play!
Join us for 3 afternoons of building, painting and playing with Games Workshop table-top gaming miniatures from the Warhammer 40,000 and Warhammer Age of Sigmar tabletop universes! No experience required, we will provide all you need and guide you through the process with building and painting tips. You will get 2 miniatures to keep and an info pack! Sponsored by Toyworld Tower Junction.
Ages: 10 to 16 years
Cost: $5.74, includes booking fee
Event is completed over 3 sessions/days - You will be booked to attend all 3 sessions
- Wednesday 13 July 1pm to 2pm at Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre
- Thursday 14 July 1pm to 3pm at Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre
- Thursday 15 July 1pm to 3pm at Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre
Make your own Stamp at South - KIDSFEST
Design, cut and create your very own personalised stamp. Children draw their design using the iPad and use the laser cutter to make the pieces of the stamp. They also make stamping accessories and collect and share their designs with their friends.
Ages: 5 to 10 years
Cost: $26.74, includes booking fee
- Wednesday 13 July 10am to 12noon- SOLD OUT! - CANCELLED
- Friday 15 July 10am to 12noon - SOLD OUT!
- Tuesday 19 July 10am to 12 noon - SOLD OUT!
- Friday 22 July 1pm to 3pm - SOLD OUT!
Hot Wheels Frenzy! at Aranui, New Brighton & Upper Riccarton - KIDSFEST
Learn about construction and physics while playing with mini cars!
Children will build their very own Hot Wheels carry case and take turns building tracks to challenge and race their friends on the day.
Ages: 5 to 9 years
Cost: $21.49, includes booking fee
- Wednesday 13 July 1pm to 3pm at Aranui - CANCELLED
- Monday 18 July 10am to 12noon at New Brighton- SOLD OUT!
- Friday 22 July 10am to 12noon at Upper Riccarton - SOLD OUT!
Minecraft Fun at New Brighton, South, Tūranga,Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre & Upper Riccarton - KIDSFEST
Minecraft is a 3D gaming experience that involves creating your own virtual world and interacting with others online. To really enjoy this programme, you will need a basic understanding of Minecraft.
Book in a two hour session and play to your hearts content.
Ages: 7 to 12 years
Cost: $10.99, includes booking fee
- Wednesday 13 July 1pm to 3pm at South - SOLD OUT!
- Thursday 14 July 10am to 12noon at Tūranga - SOLD OUT!
- Friday 15 July 1pm to 3pm at Upper Riccarton - SOLD OUT!
- Monday 18 July 1pm to 3pm at New Brighton - SOLD OUT!
- Thursday 21 July 1pm to 3pm at Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre - SOLD OUT!
Minecraft MEGA! at South - KIDSFEST
Harness your excitement about Minecraft and use our technology to design and print your own Minecraft T-shirt.
In the afternoon, complete build challenges or play with your friends. The day will include craft activities and outside games. You will need to BYO lunch and snacks for the day. A T-shirt to print on will be supplied.
Ages: 7-12 years
Cost: $58.24, includes booking fee
- Monday 11 July 9am to 3pm - SOLD OUT!
- Tuesday 12 July 9am to 3pm - SOLD OUT!
- Monday 18 July 9am to 3pm - SOLD OUT!
- Wednesday 20 July 9am to 3pm - SOLD OUT!
Terms and Conditions for bookable Learning Centre holiday programmes
Note: A Consent Form is required to be completed by the child and a parent/caregiver for all learning centre after school and holiday programmes.
- Please make sure your child meets the age range/restrictions for the programme. Bookings received that do not meet these restrictions will be cancelled and refunded.
- Sold Out? Some programmes have a limited waitlist. To check if waitlist places are still available, click the "Book online link".
- Payment is required at the time of booking, using a debit or credit card.
- A minimum of 48 hours’ notice is required for cancellations. After this time the programme cost in non-refundable.
- A Consent Form is required to be completed by the child and a parent/caregiver.
- Drop off and pick up times are 10 minutes prior to the advertised programme times. We are not responsible for your children outside of these hours.
- If your child is absent or running late, please telephone us 03-941-7923.
- Please do not bring along an unwell child to the programme.
- Children must meet the advertised age range/restrictions. Bookings received outside of theses advertised age range/restrictions will be cancelled and refunded.
In order to continually improve our service and the programmes that we offer, your evaluation of the sessions that you have recently attended is invaluable to us. Please complete our online form to provide us with feedback.