Libraries and Learning Centres offer holiday programmes including a variety of accessible, safe and affordable activities for children during their school holidays. Our programmes run city wide and are aimed at children between the ages of five and 15 years.
- Explore all the classes and activities at libraries and learning centres
- July school holidays is KidsFest time - discover some of the cool stuff happening
- Find more local holiday activities and events in Christchurch
July 2018 holiday programmes
Free, Drop-in holiday activities
Free, drop-in holiday activities - there is no charge or booking required for these sessions.
Create your own mini world (sessions at various libraries and times)
Come and make your own mini world or diorama using shoe boxes, plenty of craft materials and your imagination!
- Shadow puppets Linwood Library at Eastgate, Tuesday 10 July 3pm to 4pm
- Board games Linwood Library at Eastgate, Thursday 12 July 3pm to 4pm
- Board games Linwood Library at Eastgate, Tuesday 17 July 3pm to 4pm
- Makerspace Linwood Library at Eastgate, Wednesday 18 July 3pm to 4pm
Craft a Creature workshops are part of our Dr Seuss Creation Competition
Come to a free Craft a Creature workshop, where we’ll have loads of material available for use (the workshops are on from 10 July to 19 July).
Bookable holiday activities
Makey Makey Music with Scratch
Learn how to create and code your very own electronic instrument using Makey Makey and Scratch. You’ll learn how to build a musical instrument out of cardboard and make it come to life! No prior coding experience or electronics knowledge necessary.
Ages: 8–10 years
- South Library Monday 9 July 9.30am to 12noon FULLY BOOKED
- New Brighton Library Wednesday 18 July 9.30am to 12noon
Working with a range of robots, you’ll learn the basics of how robots work and how to programme them to use sensors to complete a set of challenges.
Ages: 10 years+
- Upper Riccarton Library Monday 9 July 9.30am to 3pm FULLY BOOKED
- Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre Friday 20 July 9.30am to 3pm FULLY BOOKED
Stop Motion Animation
Get creative using Lego and discover the process of producing animated movies. Plan a story themed on being kind to our world, create a set and craft your own movie using stop motion photography.
Ages: 8–12 years
- Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre Tuesday 10 July 9.30am to 3.30pm FULLY BOOKED
- New Brighton Library Friday 13 July 9.30am to 3.30pm FULLY BOOKED
- Upper Riccarton Library Tuesday 17 July 9.30am to 3.30pm FULLY BOOKED
- South Library Thursday 19 July 9.30am to 3.30pm FULLY BOOKED
My First Book
An interactive programme for kids to create their very own digital story or comic book.
Ages: 5–7 years
- Upper Riccarton Library Thursday 12 July 10am to 12noon FULLY BOOKED
- New Brighton Library Thursday 19 July 10am to 12noon FULLY BOOKED
Minecraft Game Zone
Minecraft Game Zone is a 3D gaming experience that involves creating your own virtual world and interacting with others online. To really enjoy this programme, you’ll need to have a basic understanding of Minecraft. Book in for a two hour session and play to your heart’s content.
Ages: 8–12 years
- Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre Monday 9 July 10am to 12noon FULLY BOOKED
- New Brighton Library Tuesday 10 July 10am to 12noon FULLY BOOKED
- South Library Monday 16 July 10am to 12noon FULLY BOOKED
- Upper Riccarton Library Thursday 19 July 10am to 12noon FULLY BOOKED
Minecraft 3D Paper Design
Minecraft is a virtual world where you can discover and create interesting worlds. This event takes it to the next level! Learn how to use graphic design tools to create your own paper 3D Minecraft character.
Ages: 7–10 years
- South Library Friday 13 July 9.30am to 3pm FULLY BOOKED
- Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre Wednesday 18 July 9.30am to 3pm FULLY BOOKED
This is the way we sing and play
Join the Julie Wylie Musical Play team at this interactive musical event for parents, grandparents, caregivers and children aged 2–4 years (younger and older children are welcome to attend). You’ll enjoy a range of musical play activities which promote singing, listening, moving and playing. Children and adults will have great fun together, as they respond musically with props such as the parachute, rainbow ring and organza. Look out for the Julie Wylie Musical Play rainbow flag!
Email email@example.com to book your space. Children $10 (babies who are not yet crawling, only $5) and caregivers $5.
- Upper Riccarton Library Wednesday 18 July 10.30am to 11.15am
- Read the article in uncover huraina issue 8
- Read it in the PDF version of uncover huraina issue 8 [11MB PDF]
Conditions for bookable Learning Centre holiday programmes
- Payment is required 48 hours prior to the start of the programme – if payment is not made prior to this, the Learning Centre reserves the right to cancel your booking.
- Please pay at the library where the programme is held or by credit card over the phone to the Fingertip Library, (03) 941 7923.,
- A minimum of 48 hours’ notice is requested for cancellations. After this time the programme cost in non-refundable.
- A Consent Form is required to be completed by the child and a parent/caregiver. Please ensure this is completed when you call in to pay the course fees or drop your child off for the programme.
- Drop off and pick up times are 10 minutes prior to the advertised programme times. We are not responsible for your children outside of these hours.
- If your child is absent or running late, please telephone us.
- Please do not bring along an unwell child to the programme.
- You are obliged to inform us at registration if your child has medical or behavioural conditions. Your child will not be excluded, but we require accurate information.
- Children outside the recommended age range will not be placed on the course.
- Children may be enrolled in two programmes only. If you would like to enrol your child in more than two programmes he/she will be placed on a waitlist and notified closer to the start date as to whether or not there is place available.