Fees and charges from 1 September 2015
There is no charge to residents and ratepayers of Christchurch City Council for the following library services:
- Using and enjoying the library facilities.
- Borrowing of general collection books.
- Accessing and searching the internet and sending email.
- General information services.
Fees and charges policy [209KB PDF] September 2015
Read our full list of fees and charges.
Put a hold on an item (book, DVD, CD)
Adult $3, Youth and concession free.
Adult $0.70 per day per item, Youth and Concession no fines.
Adult, youth and concession $3 per item for 7 day loan.
- DVDs $3 per item for 7 day loan
- DVDs $6 per set for 14 day loan
- CDs, audiobooks $3 per item for 28 day loan
- CDs, audiobooks $3 per set for 28 day loan
- LPs, $3 hold charge per item, 28 day loan
Printing and copying
- A4 $0.20 per page
- A4 colour $1 per page
- A3 $0.40 per page
- A3 colour $2 per page
Replace a membership card
- Adult $5
- Youth and Concession $2.50
Lost or damaged item
Replacement charge plus processing fee of $21 per item.
Schedule of fees and charges (from 1 September 2015)
- Printing and Copying
- Information Delivery
- Public Programmes
- Video Conferencing
- Meeting Rooms and Public Spaces
This includes holds that are placed manually by library staff and those placed by library customers using their library account. It also includes the express hold service.
- Adult $3
- Youth - Free
- Concession - Free
The charge is applied when the customer collects the item on hold from the library. No charge applies if the item cannot be supplied or the item is not collected.
Replacement membership cards
A membership card is required for borrowing items from the collection. If the card is lost, it will need to be replaced to continue borrowing from the library.
Costs to replace membership cards
- Adult $5
- Youth $2.50
- Concession $2.50
Lost or damaged item
The charge made for a lost or damaged item is calculated from the item cost which is recorded on the library catalogue record and reflects the cost to the library of replacing or repairing the item. A processing fee of $21 per item is added to the lost item charge. Charges for some specific item replacements are included in the attached table. Charges for the repair of damaged items will be set at actual cost recovery.
Fines are charged on all items that the customer fails to return to the library by the due date to reflect the inconvenience created for other customers who are unable to borrow or browse the item. Fines accrue each day the item is overdue up to a maximum per item fine of $21.
- Adult $0.70 per day per item
- Youth - Free
- Concession - Free
If an outstanding amount on your Library Account is referred to a Debt Collection Agency, you will be liable for any collection costs incurred to recover the amount owing.
Debt recovery fee $23
All items located in any bestseller collections attract a charge which reflects the premium nature and immediacy of access provided by these items. The charge applies to all library customers: $3 per item for 7 day loan.
There is a charge to borrow items from the DVD, audiobook (all formats), tape and CD general collections. This charge reflects the additional costs involved in the library providing (and supporting) AV resources.
- $6 per set (14 day loan)
- $3 per item (7 day loan)
- $3 per item (28 day loan)
- $3 per set (28 day loan)
The charge applies to adults and youth when they borrow items in the general collection, but items in the children's and young adult collections are free. There are no charges to borrow AV items (CDs and DVDs) that are located in the Ngā Pounamu collection in recognition of the significance of providing access to this collection. Vinyl LPs must be brought in from storage so a $3 hold charge applies. There is no additional borrowing fee on LPs.
For requests supplied from within New Zealand, the following charges apply.
- Non-urgent requests
- $10 (1st 25 requests in a calendar year)
- $30 (26th and subsequent requests in a calendar year)
- Urgent requests
- $30.00 ($20 non-refundable urgent fee; $10 interloan fee refunded if item cannot be supplied)
- $35 per standard
Items supplied from New Zealand sources are charged for on a partial cost recovery basis. This reflects that the Library is not able to hold all resources that members may wish to use, but supports their access to national collections.
For requests supplied from overseas
All items supplied from overseas cost $20 — $60 (approximately).
Overseas items are charged for on a cost recovery basis, and vary according to country of origin, exchange rates, agents charges and method of delivery. Members will be advised of charges before proceeding with a request.
- Overdue fines will be incurred if interlibrary loan items are returned after the due date.
- If library members request more than 25 items in one calendar year, an increased charge applies for each item after the 25th.
- Occasionally additional charges may be imposed by the supplying library. These will be passed on to the customer.
Items received on interloans for corporate members can be supplied by post. The charge for this service will be based on cost recovery and includes the cost of postage.
Most library members are Christchurch City Council ratepayers or residents. Non-residents who comply with the conditions of membership are eligible to join the library as subscription members.
The charges apply to both adult and youth non-city members. However, some trusts (e.g. Gammack Trust) provide for free membership for youth in adjacent districts.
For subscription non-city members:
- 6-month membership $65
- 12-month membership $130
This subscription enables non-city members to access the services of the library on the same basis as ratepayers and residents, e.g. the same bestseller, holds and audio-visual item charges will apply.
Subscription members can use Christchurch City Libraries' electronic resources except where license restrictions prevent access to non-city members.
Printing and copying
The Library provides facilities for customers to print and photocopy resources for their research and private study needs. The costs of providing these services are similar.
- A4 B&W $0.20 per page
- A4 Colour $1 per page
- A3 B&W $0.40 per page
- A3 Colour $2 per page
Digital image reproduction
- Electronic delivery of image $30.00 per image (photographer fee if applicable - cost recovery)
- Image delivered on CD $30.00 per image (photographer fee if applicable - cost recovery)
- An administration charge of $65 per hour will apply after 30 minutes.
Image digitisation fees
If you would like a high resolution copy from an image in one of our microfilmed newspapers, a photographer's fee will apply. Please contact staff to organise this.
Where customers use library equipment to scan copies for their own use there is no charge. However, where customers require higher resolution scans using specialist library equipment then cost recovery charges (including staff time) will apply.
Assisting customers to find and use information resources is a core service of the library therefore quick reference enquiries, research searches that take less than 30 minutes and enquiries that involve staff assisting a customer to use the resources of the library are provided free of charge. Where the research question is more in-depth, then a charge will apply to staff time over 30 minutes.
- First 30 minutes - Free
- After 30 minutes - $65 per hour (charged in 30 minute increments of $32.50)
Library staff will ensure that customers are advised of likely costs for additional research before the chargeable work begins.
The customer will also be charged with any additional costs associated with the research e.g. photocopying, printing, faxing or postage.
Charges for members of Christchurch City Libraries will be added to their customer account. Where the requestor is not a member of the Library, payment in advance will be required.
In-depth research is not a core library service, therefore where research is likely to take more than two hours of staff time, customers may be referred to use a specialist research service.
The principles underpinning the fees and charging policy apply equally to the programmes offered by the Library and Learning Centres. Charges will be based on the actual programme being offered and will be advertised with the programme.
Programmes offered at no charge
No charge applies to programmes designed and delivered by the Library and Learning Centres that promote the:
- Use of the libraries physical and virtual collections.
- Practice of reading for enjoyment and help emerging readers extend their reading experience.
- Principles of information literacy in the effective use of library resources – print, digital and the web.
- Use of digital literacy to ensure the management, retrieval and use of electronic information for frequent tasks.
- LTCCP community outcomes e.g. promotion and protection of heritage.
Programmes where customer pays
The customer will pay (on the basis of cost recovery) for programmes designed and delivered by the Library and learning centres that extend beyond the core provisions. These are programmes that provide:
- ‘Value added’ with a focus on a creative production process and/or take home product e.g. some holiday programmes.
- ‘Value added’ learning for an existing provider or business e.g. teacher professional development courses, specialist school programmes, customised programmes.
- Specialist skill focus courses using applications or software not readily available on a home computer or with limited frequency of use e.g. 3D programmes using 123 Design, Film school using iMovie.
Some programmes will be subsidised. Subsidisation is where the Library offsets the full cost of the programme. Programmes considered for subsidisation include:
- ‘Pilot’ programmes offered with the view to future rollout.
- ‘Trial projects’ either by the Library or in partnership with other learning providers.
- A project developed within a research context where the research will assist with Christchurch City Council strategic objectives.
- Specialist programmes based around the testing and development of a new technology tool, learning theory or ICT application.
- Learner support programmes that ‘bridge the gaps’. The focus is on supporting learners develop basic lifelong learning skills.
- Specialist programmes that include an information literacy component as part of the learning process.
There is no charge for community/not for profit users unless specialist set up or technical assistance is required whereby a cost will be identified at the time of the booking.
Commercial users will incur a fee commensurate with the set up time, specialist requirements, technical assistance required and duration of the video conference. An indicative cost will be available at the time of booking and confirmed when details are finalised.
Meeting rooms and public spaces
Christchurch City Libraries has a number of meeting rooms and public spaces available for use by groups and organisations in the local community. Conditions of use, definitions and eligibility are outlined in the Charges and conditions of hire for meeting rooms and public spaces policy. Preference is given to non-commercial use. Rates are charged per hour.
|Subsidised / community hire||User pays / non-commercial hire||Commercial hire|
|Library public space||Free||Free||Not available for hire|
|Learning centre||Free||$55 per hour||$55 per hour (block booking),
$80 (one-off booking)
|Meeting rooms||Free||$20 per hour||$55 per hour|
|VC facilities technical setup||Free||$30|
|Resource production||Cost recovery||cost plus $25||cost plus 10%|
|administration support||Cost recovery||cost plus $50|
|staffing charge||$65 per 1.5 hour session||$65||$120|
Additional charges for refreshments, additional cleaning or security services may apply.
Fees and charges - changes
This is a summary of some of the fees and charges that changed on 1 September 2015.
|Until 31 August 2015||From 1 September 2015|
|Holds - adult||$2||$3|
|Replacement membership card - adult||$5.30||$5|
|Replacement membership card - youth||$2.10||$2.50|
|Replacement membership card - concession||$2.10||$2.50|
|Lost or damaged item - processing fee||$15.30||$21|
|Overdue fines - adult||60c per day||70c per day|
|Overdue fines - up to a maximum per item||$18||$21|
|Bestseller collection||$5.20 per item (7 day loan)||$3 per item (7 day loan)|
|Audiovisual collections - DVD||$1 per item for 7 day loan
$2 per set for 7 day loan
|$3 per item for 7 day loan
$6 per set for 14 day loan
|Audiovisual collections - CD, audiobooks||$1 per item for 28 day loan
$2 per set for 28 day loan
|$3 per item or set for 28 day loan|
|Interlibrary loan - non-urgent request||$7.50 (first 25 requests in a calendar year)||$10 (first 25 requests in a calendar year)|
|Interlibrary loan - Standards||$35.80 per standard||$35 per standard|
|Non-city members - Subscription members - 6-month membership||$53||$65|
|Non-city members - Subscription members - 12-month membership||$106||$130|