Kia orana, Noa’ia, Talofa lava, Mauri, Mālō e lelei, Tālofa, Ni Sa Bula Vinaka, Fakaalofa lahi atu, Mālō ni and warm Pacific greetings. Our Pasifika collection brings together resources focusing on Pacific knowledge, heritage and identity, particularly those that support the learning and retention of Pacific languages and culture.
Our Pasifika collections provide access to Pacific knowledge, heritage and identity, with a particular focus on helping Pacific Islanders retain their language and culture. This is a separate collection found only at Aranui Library and Ngā Moutere o te Moana-nui-a-Kiwa / Pasifika on Tuakiri | Identity, Level 2, Tūranga. Some of the same material is found in general collections held in all our libraries.
It includes resources in the following Pacific languages - Niuean, Rarotongan, Samoan, Tokelauan and Tongan. A large proportion of the Pasifika language material is for children. Some titles for children in these languages are also in Family Place, Hapori | Community, Level 1.
Specialist staff are available to help with researching Pasifika topics including family history. Use the Book a Librarian form to make an appointment.
Vā Pasifika – Christchurch City Libraries Pasifika Staff Network
Vā Pasifika bring the Pacific into our libraries and our libraries out to the Pacific.
In 2012 a number of Pasifika staff from the library formed a group with the aims of creating networking opportunities and support for Pasifika programmes and initiatives within Christchurch City Libraries. This group, known as Vā Pasifika, is made up of passionate Pasifika women from predominantly Samoan and Niuean backgrounds. Rosie, Malo, Jan-Hai, Betty, Ebony, Lorna and Tai see their role as helping to increase the level of engagement between local libraries and Pasifika communities.
Pasifika Language Weeks
Pasifika Language Weeks
- Gasav Ne Fäeag Rotuạm Ta - Rotuman Language Week
- Vaiaso o le Gagana Samoa - Sāmoa Language Week
- Wikin te Taetae ni Kiribati - Kiribati Language Week
- ‘Epetoma o te reo Māori Kūki ‘Āirani - Cook Islands Language Week
- Uike Kātoanga'i ‘o e lea faka-Tonga - Tonga Language Week
- Vaiaso o te Gana Tuvalu - Tuvalu Language Week
- Macawa ni Vosa Vakaviti - Fijian Language Week
- Faahi Tapu he Vagahau Niue Week - Niue Language Week
- Te Vaiaho o te Gagana Tokelau - Tokelau Language Week