Join the Library
Kia ora and welcome to all the wonderful things your library has to offer. Join the library today – it’s free!
We welcome you and your family to use any of our Christchurch City Libraries. It’s free to join the library if you live in or pay rates in the Christchurch City Council area.
What you get for your membership:
- All the latest fiction and non-fiction reads
- Thousands of top movies and TV titles
- 24/7 online access to thousands of eBooks, eAudiobooks and eMagazines
- Auahatanga - Creative Spaces with the latest tech including 3D printing, Virtual reality, Laser Cutting, Vinyl Printing, Sewing and more
- Meeting rooms and spaces to connect, meet new friends and play
- No fines on borrowed books
- Wide range of programmes and events for all ages and interests
- Printers, scanners, computers and Wi-Fi available
- Friendly staff to help you
At the Library
Membership is available online and enables you to access eBooks, aAudio, eMagazines and eResources immediately. This membership is valid for three months. To extend your membership beyond this period and/or borrow physical items you must provide proof of address and ID and convert to a full membership at any Christchurch city library. If you can't visit the library to change your temporary membership to full membership, contact the library by ringing 941-7923 or emailing email@example.com.
More about joining the library
To join the library you need:
- Identification: either your passport or two (2) other forms of ID, preferably one with a photo-ID. If a child is joining, it is the parent / legal guardian that requires the ID.
- Proof of address (no more than 30 days old). This can be a letter from your bank, school, power or telephone company. Digital versions of these documents are also acceptable. If you do not have proof of address you can borrow 2 items. To continue your membership you must provide proof of address within 3 months. If a child is joining, it is the parent / legal guardian that requires the proof of address.
Te hono ki te whare pukapuka
Kia ora, nau mai ki ngā āhuatanga mīharo katoa o tō whare pukapuka.
E pōhiri ana mātou i a koutou ko tō whānau ki te whakamahi i Ngā Kete Wānanga o Ōtautahi.
Kāore he utu o te hono ki te whare pukapuka mēnā kei te rohe o te Kaunihera o Ōtautahi koe e noho ana, e utu rēti ana rānei.
E hono ai koe ki te whare pukapuka me whai:
- Tohu tuakiri: tō uruwhenua, ētahi atu momo tuakiri e 2 rānei, otirā me whai whakaahua tētahi. Ki te hono mai tētahi tamaiti, me whai tohu tuakiri te
matua / kaitiaki.
- Hāponotanga wāhi noho (kia kaua e tawhito ake i te 30 rā). He reta mai i tō pēke, kura, kamupene hiko, waea rānei. E whakaaetia ana hoki ngā
tārua matihiko ō ēnei tuhinga.
Join the library: information in community languages
Information for new library members
- If you lose your library card or it is stolen, please advise us as soon as possible by phoning 03-941-7923 or popping in to your local library. Please let us know if you move house or if any details change by phone, updating your contact details online, or visiting your local library.
- You can use your library card at any Christchurch City Library. Items can be issued from and/or returned to any library in our network.
- Most books can be borrowed for 28 days. You can renew your item once unless requested by another borrower. Borrowing periods vary for other items. Some materials incur charges to borrow e.g. Adult DVDs, talking books and others.
- If you supply your email address, you will be able to receive notices to say your hold is now available, or your items are overdue.
- You can use your library card to access the internet (free of charge) on our computers in all our libraries. You can also use your own device in our libraries. Wi-Fi is free and no password is required.
- For full membership conditions, please refer to Conditions of membership.