E tipu e rea mō ngā rā o tō ao
Ko to ringaringa ki ngā rākau a te Pākehā
Hei oranga mō tō tinana
Ko tō ngākau ki ngā tāonga a ō tipuna Māori
Hei tikitiki mō tō māhuna
Ko tō wairua ki tō atua
Nānā nei ngā mea katoa
(Tā Apirana Ngata)
Tēnā koutou katoa. E ngā mana, e ngā waka, e ngā hau e whā e te iwi whānui tēnā koutou. He mihi whānui atu tēnei na Ngā Kete Wananga o Ōtautahi tēnā koutou. Nau mai, haere mai ki tēnei wāhi, he ara ki ngā rauemi me ngā ratonga Māori. Tēnā tātou katoa.
Tāhuhu Kōrero - History
Our Tāhuhu Kōrero - History section has information on Māori local history, Treaty of Waitangi, Māori place names, and historical events like Parihaka.
Tī Kōuka Whenua explores Māori local history: stories of Christchurch and Banks Peninsula told with audio interviews and pictures.
- Kā Huru Manu is a project dedicated to creating a Ngāi Tahu Atlas of place names and histories.
- Kareao (Ngāi Tahu Collections: Archives, Artwork, Library)
Whakapapa - Genealogy
Ngā Tangata / Porihanga - People/Society
- Photos A sample of Māori images from our photograph collection.
- Sir Tipene O'Regan
- Tangata Rongonui (Historical Characters)
Discover all the cool Māori resources we have for tamariki (children). Get crafty, read and learn te reo Māori, and explore.
Te Reo Māori booklists
- Māori non-fiction
- Pikihuia Awards for Māori writers
- Te Reo Māori books by Māori authors (for ages 10-13)
- Traditional stories of Te Waipounamu A resource list of pūrākau, traditional Māori stories, from the South Island.
Te Wiki o te Reo Māori
We'll be celebrating Te Wiki o Te Reo Māori from 14 to 20 Mahuru (September).
Te Reo Māori - Māori Language
- Learning te reo Māori resources Find library resources to help with learning te reo Māori
- Te Reo Māori resources Recommended websites and online learning tools
- Te Reo Māori courses Find local te reo classes
- A Beginner’s Kete Basic greetings, words and pronunciation in the form of a printable wallet card
- Te Wiki o te reo Māori / Māori Language Week
- Te Whata Raki
Rerehua / Taoka Pūoro - Arts and Music
Explore our section on Māori arts and music. It includes resources on weaving and fibre arts including guides on how to make putiputi (flowers) and whetū (stars).
Matariki - the Māori New Year
Tiriti o Waitangi - Treaty of Waitangi
- Treaty of Waitangi
- Waitangi Day in Christchurch and Canterbury 2020
- Tiriti o Waitangi - Treaty of Waitangi Links to resources about the Treaty suitable for children
Te Ao Tūturu - The natural world
- Tī Kōuka — the cabbage tree
- Te rongoa Māori
- Te Ao Tūturu - The natural world Ara Ipurangi mō te Iwi Māori / Internet Gateway
Tōrakapū / Kāwanataka - Politics and Government
- Koroneihana and Kingitanga
- Koroneihana and Kīngitanga booklist
- Tōrakapū / Kāwanataka - Politics and Government Ara Ipurangi mō te Iwi Māori / Internet Gateway
At the library
Ngā Pounamu Māori
Find out about our Māori collections.
The signage that we use in our libraries - with sound files so that you can hear the pronunciation.
The stories of our libraries’ Māori names.
Māori Land Court Minute Books Index (MLCMBI)
The Māori Land Court Minute Books contain judges’ notes on court sittings from 1865 to 1910.
Ngā Ūpoko Tukutuku Māori Subject Headings
Online tool for librarians and archivists providing standard terms for use when describing material either in or about Māori.
- Te Ara Tika 2012 to 2014
- Te Ara Hou – The New Pathway 2008 – 2010
- Ngā Tapuwae Hou / New Footsteps (to 2007)
A set of Te Ao Māori images on Flickr