Download and read. Whatever your age group or interest we have eBooks for you.
Use your library card to borrow eBooks for adults, kids and young adults. Downloadable or read online, there is a collection of bestsellers, romance, mysteries, thrillers, biographies, and more even a great collection of New Zealand titles.
To download digital titles, you need:
- A Windows or Mac computer with a modern browser or mobile device or eReader;
- Libby app available from the App Store or Google Play
- Access to the internet;
- Your library card and password / PIN.
Internet access is needed to browse, check out, and download titles. After download, enjoy a digital title without being connected to the Internet.
You can borrow eBooks or downloadable eAudiobooks while overseas using OverDrive as long as your library card privileges (your contact details) are up to date.
You cannot due to licensing restrictions borrow an eBook from Wheelers if you are overseas. You can though continue to read any eBooks that you have downloaded before you have left.
There are currently no Linux-based eBook reader software options compatible with Adobe DRM files. However you can use Wine to run the Windows version of ADE.
The easiest way to access eBook if you are using Linux is to read it in your browser.
Selection criteria for eBooks
Selection is is based on the following criteria.
- General guidelines contained in the libraries’ content development policy.
- Focus is on content, rather than format. We include a mixture of ePub and PDF formats. Currently there is more choice available in ePub format.
- Emphasis is on popular fiction for adults, young adults and children, with the highest percentage being adult;
- We are unable to access as much British or New Zealand content as we would like. We are limited to what is available in Australasia. Each title produced as an eBook is restricted by licensing agreements so many titles available in the US are not available in New Zealand.
- Numbers of copies available to the Australasian market are also limited.
- Some New Zealand authors are available.
- We may purchase some titles electronically which are not held in hard copy.
- In order to offer the widest range of titles in our collection, we purchase only one copy per title. This is reviewed from time to time.
- New titles are added regularly.
- We review what is on offer regularly and buy based on trends, reading patterns and budget available.