This page links to information and photographs in our collections about the places and landmarks of Christchurch.
Architectural heritage and local history
- A to Z of our Christchurch places local history pages
- The architectural heritage of Christchurch
- Buildings — churches, businesses, and municipal buildings.
- Cemeteries of Christchurch
- Christchurch buildings for kids
- The Christchurch Documentary Project
- Christchurch street and place names
- City of Christchurch European settlement: historical note
- City of Christchurch Ngai Tahu: historical note
- Early Christchurch
- Local history fact files — suburbs, people, houses and streets of suburban Christchurch.
- Public places — parks, hospitals, sports facilities, malls and squares and other public areas.
- Tī Kōuka Whenua — Māori local history
Memorials, clocks, fountains and landmarks
- H.L. Bowker Fountain
- Bridge of Remembrance
- Canterbury heroes
- Citizens’ War Memorial
- Floral clock
- Jubilee clock
- Kate Sheppard National Memorial, Oxford Terrace
- Peacock Fountain
- Totem pole
- Victoria Square poupou
- War memorial shrine at Christchurch Boys’ High School
The Christchurch Documentary Project
Find our about The Christchurch Documentary Project:
- Researching the history of a house in Ōtautahi/Christchurch —How old is my house? How has it changed over time? Who else has lived there? Find resources at Christchurch City Libraries that will help find answers to these questions.
- Local history resources — an annotated bibliography of published sources on the history of Christchurch, Lyttelton and Banks Peninsula.
- Newspapers collection — Find out how to use our newspapers resources to research our past.
From our Digital Collection
A selection of items digitised from our archives and reference collections.
- Several publications relating to Akaroa.
- Killinchy farm diary
- Handwritten diary of farm activities and expenses on a Killinchy, Canterbury farm. The diary was started by Mathew O’Brien and continued by John O’Brien after his father’s death on 5 October 1897.
- A collection of historical maps mostly of Christchurch and Canterbury.
- Plans of Christchurch Buildings
- A selection of architectural plans and drawings from the collection of the Strategy and Planning Group Heritage Archives, Christchurch City Council. The plans and drawings are of a range of buildings in Christchurch, dating from 1909 to 1968.
- The Spur, Sumner : the property of S. Hurst Seager…
- A pamphlet advertising the auction of the Spur properties designed by Samuel Hurst Seager. Includes floor plans, views of the cottage interiors, and general descriptions of the cottages. 1914
- The Summit Road : its scenery, botany, and geology, 1914
- This booklet contains articles by Blanche Baughan, Leonard Cockayne and Robert Speight on various aspects of the Summit Road, with an introduction by Harry Ell, and a brief mention of the work of the Summit Road Association. The booklet contains illustrations, panoramic profiles of the Port Hills, and a relief map.
- Sumner by J.F. Menzies, 1941
- A history of Sumner, written by J. F. Menzies, Sumner Town Clerk, in 1941, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Sumner as a borough.