Services for older adults
Discover library services and useful information for older adults.
Audiobooks and eAudiobooks
Audiobooks are great for tired eyes, travel and relaxing. We have a range of fiction and non-fiction audiobooks, available in a variety of formats.
- Can be used with standard CD players and computers.
- MP3 CD
- A compressed version of a CD, usually comprising one disc only. These can only be used on MP3-compatible CD, DVD, computers, mobile phones, iPods and compatible MP3 players, which are clearly marked.
- An easy to use audio player ready loaded with up to 80 hours of listening. It can fit in your pocket and go anywhere with you.
RBDigital Magazines gives you access to hundreds of popular eMagazines covering a wide range of subjects. We have everything from the Economist to New Zealand Gardener! The eMagazines are replicas of current and print editions. You need to be a library member and have a password or PIN on your library card.
Find out how Christchurch City Libraries can support older adults who have difficulty accessing a library.
Resources and collections
Here are some library resources and collections that you may find of interest.
Search our catalogue for DVDs with subtitles or captions for the hearing impaired.
Memory bags can be beneficial for people with dementia. The memory bags contain a selection of objects chosen to help stimulate the senses and promote reminiscing and discussion.
Lifelong learning and recreation
Find out more about Lifelong learning.
- Community connections for adults
- These courses at our Learning Centres provide individuals and groups with hands-on skills in using information and communication technologies.
- Older people
- Search CINCH our community information directory for courses and organisations relevant to older people.
- Library events calendar
- Browse our calendar for events and classes.
- Leisure clubs
- Information from Christchurch City Council on recreation for older adults.
Useful online resources
Website run by the Ministry of Social Development and the Office for Senior Citizens to provide information to help you age positively.
- Older persons' health
From local health information website HealthInfo, funded by the Canterbury DHB.
- Scam Savvy
Scam Savvy is a digital tool designed to help you and your family avoid scams and stay safe online.