We occasionally run competitions for kids, teens and adults.
Open for ages 5 to 18, competition closes Monday 18 September.
Tickets to The Very Hungry Caterpillar Show
Craft Yourself a Creature - A Family Challenge! (all ages)
Entries closed Friday 30 June 2017.
My Very Own Hungry Caterpillar (for ages 0 to 12 years)
Entries closed Wednesday 19 July 2017.
Double passes to NZSO's Schumann & Barber concert
We gave away 2 double passes to the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra's Schumann & Barber concert on 21 June at the Isaac Theatre Royal.
The winners were Susanna and Kyla.
Double pass to opening night of Cinema Italiano Festival NZ
The Cinema Italiano Festival NZ runs from 14 to 25 June at the Academy Gold Cinema at The Colombo. We gave away a double pass to the opening night of the Festival.
This competition closed on 5 June 2017. The winner of the double pass was Esther Hughes.
What’s your favourite place to read? Tell us, and win three books from HarperCollins New Zealand
We are gave away 2 double passes to the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra's Mozart and Beethoven concert on 4 April at Horncastle Arena.
- C Dodd
- W Harvie
We gave away a double pass to the NZSO and Modern Māori Quartet concert at Horncastle Arena, Friday 3 March at 7pm.
- G Caughley
- F Brooker
We gave away a double pass to the Pixies concert on Thursday 9 March at Horncastle Arena. D Fernandes was the winner.
Readers from ages 5 to 13 too part in our Summertime Reading Club. They submitted a completed reading passport in a competition that ran from 16 December 2016 to 31 January 2017, with 8 reading related activities to complete in an activities booklet.
Winners were selected by random draw on 10 February 2017. First prize was an iPad mini 2. Runner-up prizes by were 1 x Orana Family pass, 5 x $20 book vouchers, 5 x $20 Movie vouchers and 5 x pool pass packages.
iPad Mini 2 (1st Prize)
Orana Family Pass
Christchurch Photo Hunt 2016
Win tickets to the Church Tour
Find out how to enter in our blog post. Entries closed Wednesday 21 September. Hugh Joughin was the winner.
VIP afternoon tea with Andy Griffiths
Find out how to enter in our blog post. Entries closed Wednesday 7 September. Jorja was the winner!
Win a double pass to Disney's The BFG
Find out how to enter in our blog post. Entries closed Monday 20 June.
Win a double pass to the Cinema Italiano Festival
We gave away 2 double passes the Cinema Italiano Festival from 15 to 25 June, for any screening following the opening night.
Entries for this competion closed at 12pm on Friday 10 June 2016.
See our post about the festival for more information.
Striking Gold competition
We invited library members to leave a comment with their suggestion of a great sporting or history read by 5pm Friday 22 April.
The winner of one copy Striking Gold: New Zealand Hockey's Remarkable Victory at the 1976 Olympics was weta1000 who suggested the book Born to run by Christopher McDougall.
Readers aged 0-16 years of age submitted a reading adventure calendar that ran from 18 December to 18 January, with a box for each day to record how long was spent reading. Winners were selected by random draw on 29 January 2016. In each category, first prize is an iPad mini. Runner-up prizes by category are: 0-6 years - books, 7-12 years - pool passes, 13-16 years movie passes.
- Merryn Campbell (first prize)
- Greta Derrick
- Emerald Jin
- Hudson Scott
- Sophie Stead
- Zane Wyber
- Emilia Cox-Smith (first prize)
- Samuel Allan
- Richard Anderson
- Emma Bailey
- Briana Banks
- Isaac Baugh
- Benjamin Blakie
- Anika Brown
- Clara Dujakvic
- Oscar Hastings-Bell
- Emily Haughey
- Daniel Powley
- Josh James (first prize)
- Dominique Barrett
- Saoirse Hill-Shearman
- Harriet Rowse
- Gloria Wong
#dinosinchch selfie competition
Dinosaur Footprints: A Story of Discovery was a national touring exhibition brought to you by GNS Science and New Zealand Oil & Gas and supported in Ōtautahi by Christchurch City Libraries. It was on from 14 November to 16 December at Fendalton Library. There was a competition - kids could snap a selfie at the exhibition and upload to social media with the hashtag #dinosinchch and be in to win cool dinosaur LEGO. Here are the winners.
In the spirit of DINOVEMBER, the dinosaurs have come to life at Shirley Library! Come in and check out our display or see our images on Flickr. Bring in a photo to Shirley Library of your dinosaurs doing stuff (with your contact details) and we’ll put your picture up on display and you’ll go into the competition to win some dino-mo prizes. Closed 30 November 2015.
Courtney Barnett competition
Our Courtney Barnett ticket competition closed 29 October 2015. The winner of the double pass was Rebecca Taekema.
Christchurch Photo Hunt 2015
The theme of Christchurch Photo Hunt 2015 is ‘Arrivals and Departures — The journeys that have shaped us’. Take ownership of your city’s heritage, send in some of your old photos to help grow a photographic archive.
All entries had to be made by 5pm Saturday 31 October, 2015. The winner was announced on Friday 27 November 2015.
- Overall winner Jill Blacklock
- Places Ali Beken
- People Kathleen Morris
- Collection Flora Marker
Winners in each category (Places, People, Collection) won a Kobo Glow eReader. The prize for overall winner was a tablet. View the winning entries in our Christchurch Photo Hunt 2015 - the winners blog post.
Every Story tells a Picture art comp for teens
Every Story Tells a Picture – Art Competition for teens on the Pulse. Closed 5pm on Friday 31 July 2015.
Matariki competition - win an eReader
- New Zealand Poetry Day competition 2013. Congratulations to Irena Tojcic and Daniel Bartlett. Their winning poems are published on our blog.
- Christchurch photo hunt
- Best reads of 2012: Four lucky people shared our great Best reads of 2012 prizes. Congratulations to Barbara, Katharine, Kerrie and Linda.
- Best books for kids
- Best books for teens
- Canterbury A&P Show competition. Congratulations to the winner of our Canterbury A&P Show competition, Peter, who was very happy to receive his Kobo Touch eReader®.
- MoreFM Sony E-Reader competition
- 2012 Christchurch Photo Hunt
- 2012 Women’s Lifestyle Expo - Guess how many pages in the book. The answer was 767. The two closest answers were 765 by F Reid and 776 by Aleisha Hurd.
- 2012 New Zealand Music Month. Congratulations to Rosanna who won an iPod Nano®.
- Customer satisfaction survey online 2012 - Harvey won an iPod Nano® for completing our survey.
- 2012 Summertime Reading photography competition
- 2011 Whakanuia Te Wiki o Te Reo Māori — Māori Language Week photo competition. To celebrate Māori Language Week/Te wiki o te reo Māori in 2011 we invited our customers to submit photographs that captured the essence of manaakitanga. Our winner was Kathy Watson, with a photograph of her family on Christmas Day.
- 2010 iPod shuffle winner announced. Braden Warnock won the iPod shuffle. He was one of 117 customers who completed an online card sort for the Source.
- 2009 Heritage Week Christchurch City Libraries Photo Hunt - winners
- 2009 Reading Crusade
- 2008 - 2009 Summertime Reading programme