We occasionally run competitions for kids, teens and adults.
Competition Closed: this competition ran from 5 August to 20 September.
The winner of the Takahē prize pack was Lynda Lawton.
Lunar New Year colouring-in competition
There are two age categories - 0 to 5 years and 5 years+.
Winners were notified by Friday 12 March 2021.
5 plus Winners
- Eva, South
- Francecheska, Upper Riccarton
- Yeonsu, Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre
- Noah, New Brighton
- Connor, Upper Riccarton
Under 5 winners
- Rosario, Matuku Takotako: Sumner Centre
- Nova, Linwood
- Robyn, Upper Riccarton
- Alex, Orauwhata: Bishopdale
- Zack, Upper Riccarton
Summertime Reading Challenge - Kōrero pukapuka ā te wā o raumati
Kids and Teens - ages 0 to 18 - tell us about your summer reads in three words and be in to win!
Summertime Reading Challenge was on all through summer until Sunday 28 February 2021.
Find out more and read the list of winners.
Win with Christchurch City Libraries and Riverside Market
We gave away vouchers from Riverside Market, Ben and Jerrys, AHA Bakery and Donut Dispensary.
Competition ran from Monday 14 December 2020 to Friday 29 January 2021.
- Monday 14 December: Bag of donuts from The Donut Dispensary - @ktacox2020
- Tues 15 Dec: $5 Aha Bakery voucher - @mouth_canyon
- Weds 16 Dec: $40 Riverside market voucher - @thekikiquinn
- Thurs 17 Dec: $5 Aha Bakery voucher - @generationhomeschch
- Fri 18 Dec: Bag of donuts from The Donut Dispensary - @anabelbray
- Mon 21 Dec: Bag of donuts from The Donut Dispensary - @iri_ani_in_aotearoa
- Tues 22 Dec: $5 Aha Bakery voucher - @Brillo68
- Weds 23 Dec: $40 Ben and Jerrys voucher - @_Miek87
- Thurs 24 Dec: $5 Aha Bakery voucher - @bibskb
- Mon 28 Dec: Bag of donuts from The Donut Dispensary - @fentnz
- Tues 29 Dec: $5 Aha Bakery voucher - @masorange
- Weds 30 Dec: $40 Riverside market voucher - @scrapb00kofstyle
- Thurs 31 Dec: $5 Aha Bakery voucher - @smallandorange
- Mon 4 Jan: Bag of donuts from The Donut Dispensary - @taniakaytait
- Tues 5 Jan: $5 Aha Bakery voucher - @r.e.mcrobb
- Weds 6 Jan: $40 Riverside market voucher - @trinityymann
- Thurs 7 Jan: $5 Aha Bakery voucher - @samGutschlag
- Friday 8 Jan: Bag of donuts from The Donut Dispensary - @hawleysimmnds
- Monday 11 Jan: Bag of donuts from The Donut Dispensary - @zurtle
- Tuesday 12 Jan: $5 Aha Bakery voucher - @reithemanbaker
- Weds 13 Jan: $40 Riverside market voucher - @evararts
- Thursday 14 Jan: $5 Aha Bakery voucher - @ _c.a.e.s.e.y_
- Friday 15 Jan: Bag of donuts from The Donut Dispensary - @izzybellrose
- Monday 18 Jan: Bag of donuts from The Donut Dispensary - @kittyluvs.nz
- Tuesday 19 Jan: $5 Aha Bakery voucher - @irisballerina
- Wednesday 20 Jan: $40 Riverside market voucher - @rayssaguimaraes
- Thursday 21 Jan: $5 Aha Bakery voucher - @rgomezfell
- Friday 22 Jan: Bag of donuts from The Donut Dispensary - @katbhavilland
- Monday 25 Jan: Bag of donuts from The Donut Dispensary - @claradujakovic
- Tues 26 Jan: $5 Aha Bakery voucher - @java.dmg
- Weds 27 Jan: $40 Riverside market voucher - @sophie_r____
- Thurs 28 Jan: $5 Aha Bakery voucher - @ rachaelistic
- Friday 29 Jan: Bag of donuts from The Donut Dispensary - @annaamargaret
The Fairy Godmother of all Pantos Cinderella comes to life for Christmas. It's all go for pantomime fun, as slapstick, story and laughter takes over the Isaac Theatre Royal from 15 to 20 December 2020. Competition closed 5pm, Saturday 5 December - two tickets were won by John Collie.
NZ Opera: Eight Songs for a Mad King
Competition ran from Tuesday 24 November to Sunday 29 November. Winner of a double pass: Chris Harms.
Flower garland family challenge: Win tickets to The Sleeping Beauty
Competition ran from Monday 28 September to Friday 30 October 2020. Winners: Eliza, Amy, Kathy and Palmira. Highly commended runners up: Zoe and Sarah; Sharon, Maria and Teresa; and Miriam and Esther.
Thanks to everyone who took part in this family challenge and congratulations to you all.
Aquila won a double pass to the Sleeping Beauty Ballet at the Isaac Theatre Royal.
KidsFest Claymation Stop Motion Competition
Kiri and Lou creators announced the winning entries on Sunday 26 July 2pm at a Tūranga screening of all the movies
Congratulations to our prize winning finalists :
8 – 10 Years
The Great Adventure - Daichi + Ritsuki
Monster Attack - Jacob + Liam
The Tree's Friends - Liam + Ruadhan
Firework Show - Sebastian + Oscar
Homemade Carrot Disaster - Maddison + Tridaya
11 years plus
One Bad Day - Nathan + Joel
The Thing - Eric + Lucas
The Clay Friends - Amelia + Curtis
The Story of Two Soulmates - Catherine + Sarah
Demon Bunny - Elise + Nya
Win a family pass to Dr Seuss’s The Cat in the Hat – Live on Stage at the Isaac Theatre Royal Friday 11 July
Competition closed on Thursday 2 July at 5pm.
Instagram poetry competition
It's Youth Week, and in the spirit of the theme 'We're speaking, are you listening?', we are holding an Instagram poetry competition! Post an original poem using the Youth Week theme as inspiration, tag @ChristchurchLib in it, use the hashtag #instapoetrychch, and our resident youth librarian and slam poet Ray will pick a winner.
There's glory and a sweet Bluetooth speaker up for grabs, and we'll share entries on our Instagram page too! Get writing - we can't wait to read your creations.
Entries close Sunday 17 May. We will contact the winner by dm. This competition is open to Christchurch residents only. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram.
View this post on Instagram, opens a new window
#youthweeknz starts tomorrow! We are having an Instagram poetry competition in celebration. Post an original poem using the "We're speaking, are you listening" Youth Week theme as inspiration, tag us @christchurchlib and use hashtag #instapoetrychch, you could win a bluetooth speaker. Our resident youth librarian and slam poet Ray will pick a winner. Entries close 17 May. We will contact the winner by dm. This competition is open to Christchurch residents only. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram., opens a new window
My Fair Lady has now been postponed until 11 to 26 September, instead of the 3 April original opening date. The winner of two tickets to the Showbiz Christchurch production of My Fair Lady is Barbara Sampson.
Test your My Fair Lady knowledge with a quiz!
My Fair Lady prize pack
WIN a My Fair Lady Family Prize Pack.
- Name two songs from My Fair Lady and email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name & phone number to be in to win My Fair Lady Family Group Tickets (A- Reserve seats for 2 x adults & 2 x children under 18 years), a Souvenir Programme and 4 ice creams.
- Competition closes 4pm, 3 April 2020. Winner will be notified by email.
- Prize is not transferable and cannot be exchanged for cash. Employees of Showbiz Christchurch and the My Fair Lady Company are not eligible to enter.
Find out more
Showbiz Christchurch presents the Saunders and Co season of Lerner and Loewe's My Fair Lady
Isaac Theatre Royal
3 to 18 April 2020
Competition question: "Which of the 3 composers whose work features in this concert was born 250 years ago this year (in 1770)?" The answer, which could be found in the library catalogue, was "Beethoven" (1770-1827). Entries closed on Thursday 12 March at 5pm.
The following people won a double pass each:
- Melissa Foster
- Hayley Proffit
Summertime Reading Challenge – Kōrero pukapuka ā te wā o raumati 2019 / 2020
The Summertime Reading Challenge 2019 / 2020 was on from Monday 2 December 2019 to Saturday 29 February 2020. Discover something new and be in to win cool prizes.
View the winners.
We gave away 2 double passes to the NZSO's concert on Saturday 14 September at the Christchurch Town Hall. The answer to the competition question "What was the composer Rachmaninov's first name?" was "Sergei". Entries closed at 5pm on Thursday 5 September.
The following people won a double pass each:
- John Arnold
- Ailsa Dodge
NZ Opera's The Barber of Seville
We gave away a double pass to NZ Opera's The Barber of Seville at the Isaac Theatre Royal. Entrants were asked to submit their favourite funny book, TV show or movie. The winner was drawn on Wednesday 31 July. The winner was Aquila Utami.
We gave away 2 double passes to the NZSO's concert on Thursday 27 June at the Christchurch Town Hall.The answer to the competition question "Which piece of music being performed in this concert was composed by a New Zealander?" was "Angel at Ahipara". Entries closed at 5pm on Wednesday 19 June.
The following people won a double pass each:
- Kristina Heep
- Nicholas Wormald
We gave away 2 double passes to the NZSO's concert on Friday 5 April at the Christchurch Town Hall. The answer to the competition question "Which New Zealand composer is the Christchurch Town Hall Auditorium named after?" was "Douglas Lilburn". Entries closed at 5pm on Thursday 28 March 2019.
The following people won a double pass each:
- Linda Allen
- Marian Richards
I love New Brighton bookmark competition - Wednesday 6 February to Friday 1 March 2019
Design a New Brighton-themed bookmark and enter it in our competition! Pick up an entry form from the library stall at I Love New Brighton, opens a new window (Thomson Park, Waitangi Day) and be in to win free enrolment in a library learning centre programme. We will turn the winning entries into a bamboo bookmark using laser-cutting technology.
Open to the following age groups: 7-12, 13-18 and 19+ years of age. Find more information including specs for your design and how to enter your design on the entry form at New Brighton Library.
The Summertime Reading Challenge runs from Saturday 1 December 2018 to Thursday 28 February 2019.
- Monday 14 January: Luca (7 years) and Olivia (8 years) who have each won a copy of Aotearoa by Gavin Bishop, signed by the author.
Monday 4 February: Gus (5 years) and Alice (5 years) each received a book.
A question will be added to the library Facebook and post your answer, share and like our page to be in to win. Prizes include Spotify vouchers, movie tickets and a family pass to Orana Park. Winners will be drawn and announced on our Facebook page, and on our website.
- Challenge #1 Winner: Dean Brown (prize: Alice in Videoland golden ticket)
- Challenge #2 Winner: Sarah Gardyne (prize: Book voucher)
- Challenge #3 Winner: Sarah Weber (prize: $50 voucher for Reading Gold Lounge Cinema)
- Challenge #4 Winner: Alana Priest (prize: $50 Countdown voucher)
Jesus Christ Superstar
Win one of two double passes to see Jesus Christ Superstar at the Court Theatre. Email email@example.com with why you want to win, along with your name and contact details to go in the draw. Competition closes 30 November 2018.
Download uncover huraina issue 9 [11.83MB PDF)
Mad Hatter's Tea Party
Win one of three double passes to see Mad Hatter's Tea Party at the Isaac Theatre Royal. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with why you want to win, along with your name and contact details to go in the draw! Competition closes 30 November 2018.
Download uncover huraina issue 9 [11.83MB PDF)
We gave away 2 double passes to the NZSO's concert on Saturday 17 November at Horncastle Arena. The answer to the competition question "which floor of Tūranga, the new central library, holds the music collection?" Was "Auahatanga | Creativity, Level 4". Entries closed at 5pm on Sunday, 11 November.
The following people won a double pass each:
- Wendy Marshall
- Delia Talili
We would love photos of people, places over time and events for our annual Christchurch Photo Hunt. Entries open on Monday 1 October and close Wednesday 31 October 2018. Winners in each category were announced on 1 December 2018.
Be in to win a family pass to see the magical stage production of The Nutcracker! The prize is a ticket for two adults and two children to attend The Royal New Zealand Ballet production of The Nutcracker on Saturday 24 November, 1.30pm at the Isaac Theatre Royal.
Work together with your friends or family on this fun and creative challenge – just in time for the school holidays! Entries open Monday 17 September and close Sunday 27 October 2018. Re-create your favourite scene from The Nutcracker in a shoebox diorama. Find out more.
Entries closed 5pm Wednesday 22 August. The winners of a double pass each to the concert were Alice Capon and Sarah Bynevelt.
Dr Seuss Creation - A Family Challenge
We ran an exciting competition during June and July this year. Express your creativity and be in to win a family pass to The Cat in the Hat at the beautiful Isaac Theatre Royal on Tuesday 9 October! Competition was open from Monday 18 June to 5pm Sunday 29 July 2018. Visit the competition page.
Winter Reading Challenge for teens
Challenge yourself to read or trial something new this winter and be in to WIN! Clip, tick, sticker, or stamp at least five ideas and then add your own for good luck. Competition opened Monday 2 July and ran until Sunday 29 July. Visit the competition page.
- $30 Hoyts vouchers were won by Zoe, Tarlaye, Sophie, and Imogen
- $30 Spotify vouchers were won by Amber, Matt, and Caitlin
- Astroman tickets at the Court Theatre were won by Jasmine, Bianca, and Elliot.
Congratulations to the winners, and thanks to all of you who entered. The Winter Read Challenge generated these hot reading tips from Christchurch teens.
Tūranga’s Bookbots seek Earth names
Christchurch City Libraries launched a special online survey for local schools to help give names to Tūranga’s intergalactic heroes, the Bookbots.
During the month of July, local primary and intermediate students can vote on their favourite names for the digital characters and go in the draw to win prizes, including a real-life interactive robot for their school, with training provided by PBTech, and a class workshop with Imagination Station. Bluetooth speakers from Spark and giant Bookbot wall decals are also up for grabs.
Voting was open to local primary and intermediate students until 31 July 2018 (limited to one entry per student).
The grand prize, a real-life programmable Star Wars robot, was won by St Anne’s Catholic School, in Woolston. Read: Tūranga’s Bookbots get Earth names
Entries closed 5pm Tuesday 5 June. The winners of a double pass each to the concert were Paul Dryden and Claire Berkahn.
Entries closed 5pm Sunday 29 April. The winners of a paperback and a double pass to the movie were Sophia Blake, Barbara Brockie, Joanne Davidson, Heather Gall and Wendy Hay.
uncover - huraina competitions
Win tickets to Richard Dawkins: Science in the Soul
Win one of three A Reserve double passes to see Science in the Soul! Email email@example.com with the title of any book written by Richard Dawkins along with your name and contact details to be in to win!
Friday 11 May, 7.30pm at the Isaac Theatre Royal, Christchurch. Entries closed 5pm Sunday 29 April.
Winners: Warren Lloyd; Stephen Osborne; Rebekah Ayrey
Win a book: Find the missing word
Kids! Do you love puzzles? Find the words in the puzzle in uncover huraina issue 7. One of the words cannot be found! Write this missing word in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org along with your name and contact details to be in to win one of the beautiful books shown below. Entries closed 5pm Sunday 29 April.
Winners: Brian Kenneth Comrie; Laura Auld
- Read about the competition in uncover huraina issue 7
- Read it in the PDF version of uncover huraina issue 7 [6.5MB PDF]
Terms and conditions
- Entries open to all ages.
- Entries must be received by 5pm Sunday 29 April 2018 to be eligible for the draw.
- Entries must be returned emailed to email@example.com
- Winners will be drawn at random and announced on our website and Facebook page on, or before Wednesday 9th May 2018.
- Prize allocation is at the discretion of the Christchurch City Council. All decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Entries must have all correct contact details and answers to relevant questions included in their email.
The answer to the competition question "Which of our Video and Film eResources has a 2004 performance of Gustav Mahler's Symphony No. 5? (as seen in blog post)" was Access Video.
The winners of a double pass each to the concert were:
- Carmen Moylan
- Nola Smart
Win tickets to the NZSO National Youth Orchestra concert - 2 February
This competition ran from 18 to 26 January. The winners of a double pass each to the concert were:
- Traci Gibson
- Goldie Wang
Teen Leisure Programmes at the new Central Library
From 1 September to 30 October 2017, teens between aged between 13 and 18 years had the chance to tell us what they’d like to see happening in new Central Library and go into the draw for a $100 Westfield voucher. Congratulations to Isla from New Brighton who won the voucher.
Christchurch Photo Hunt 2017: Plains, Port Hills & Peninsula – Finding our way
Christchurch City Libraries has run a Photo Hunt since 2008. This year’s theme is Plains, Port Hills & Peninsula – Finding our way. Entries opened on Sunday 1 October and closed Tuesday 31 October. We announced the winners on Friday 1 December.
Win tickets to NZSO concert Rachmaninov with Joyce Yang – Tues 31 October
Thanks to the NZSO we had two double passes to give away to library members to the Rachmaninov concert! Congratulations Stephanie and Heidi who are the winners.
Win tickets to DED All Stars vs Northland
The winner of the double pass to a DED All Stars vs Northland bout on Saturday 30th September was Roy Britten who picked his derby name as "Battler Britten".
This competition closed on 5pm, Wednesday 27th September.
Open for ages 5 to 18, this competition closed Monday 18 September.
Tickets to The Very Hungry Caterpillar Show
We ran two exciting competitions during June and July 2017 for 10 family passes to The Very Hungry Caterpillar Show at the beautiful Isaac Theatre Royal.
Craft Yourself a Creature - A Family Challenge! (all ages)
Entries closed Friday 30 June 2017.
My Very Own Hungry Caterpillar (for ages 0 to 12 years)
Entries closed Wednesday 19 July 2017.
Double passes to NZSO's Schumann & Barber concert
We gave away 2 double passes to the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra's Schumann & Barber concert on 21 June at the Isaac Theatre Royal.
The winners were Susanna and Kyla.
Double pass to opening night of Cinema Italiano Festival NZ
The Cinema Italiano Festival NZ runs from 14 to 25 June at the Academy Gold Cinema at The Colombo. We gave away a double pass to the opening night of the Festival.
This competition closed on 5 June 2017. The winner of the double pass was Esther Hughes.
What’s your favourite place to read? Tell us, and win three books from HarperCollins New Zealand
We are gave away 2 double passes to the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra's Mozart and Beethoven concert on 4 April at Horncastle Arena.
- C Dodd
- W Harvie
We gave away a double pass to the NZSO and Modern Māori Quartet concert at Horncastle Arena, Friday 3 March at 7pm.
- G Caughley
- F Brooker
We gave away a double pass to the Pixies concert on Thursday 9 March at Horncastle Arena. D Fernandes was the winner.
Readers from ages 5 to 13 too part in our Summertime Reading Club. They submitted a completed reading passport in a competition that ran from 16 December 2016 to 31 January 2017, with 8 reading related activities to complete in an activities booklet.
Winners were selected by random draw on 10 February 2017. First prize was an iPad mini 2. Runner-up prizes by were 1 x Orana Family pass, 5 x $20 book vouchers, 5 x $20 Movie vouchers and 5 x pool pass packages.
iPad Mini 2 (1st Prize)
Orana Family Pass
Christchurch Photo Hunt 2016
Win tickets to the Church Tour
Find out how to enter in our blog post. Entries closed Wednesday 21 September. Hugh Joughin was the winner.
VIP afternoon tea with Andy Griffiths
Find out how to enter in our blog post. Entries closed Wednesday 7 September. Jorja was the winner!
Win a double pass to Disney's The BFG
Find out how to enter in our blog post. Entries closed Monday 20 June.
Win a double pass to the Cinema Italiano Festival
We gave away 2 double passes the Cinema Italiano Festival from 15 to 25 June, for any screening following the opening night.
Entries for this competion closed at 12pm on Friday 10 June 2016.
See our post about the festival for more information.
Striking Gold competition
We invited library members to leave a comment with their suggestion of a great sporting or history read by 5pm Friday 22 April.
The winner of one copy Striking Gold: New Zealand Hockey's Remarkable Victory at the 1976 Olympics was weta1000 who suggested the book Born to run by Christopher McDougall.
Readers aged 0-16 years of age submitted a reading adventure calendar that ran from 18 December to 18 January, with a box for each day to record how long was spent reading. Winners were selected by random draw on 29 January 2016. In each category, first prize is an iPad mini. Runner-up prizes by category are: 0-6 years - books, 7-12 years - pool passes, 13-16 years movie passes.
- Merryn Campbell (first prize)
- Greta Derrick
- Emerald Jin
- Hudson Scott
- Sophie Stead
- Zane Wyber
- Emilia Cox-Smith (first prize)
- Samuel Allan
- Richard Anderson
- Emma Bailey
- Briana Banks
- Isaac Baugh
- Benjamin Blakie
- Anika Brown
- Clara Dujakvic
- Oscar Hastings-Bell
- Emily Haughey
- Daniel Powley
- Josh James (first prize)
- Dominique Barrett
- Saoirse Hill-Shearman
- Harriet Rowse
- Gloria Wong
#dinosinchch selfie competition
Dinosaur Footprints: A Story of Discovery was a national touring exhibition brought to you by GNS Science and New Zealand Oil & Gas and supported in Ōtautahi by Christchurch City Libraries. It was on from 14 November to 16 December at Fendalton Library. There was a competition - kids could snap a selfie at the exhibition and upload to social media with the hashtag #dinosinchch and be in to win cool dinosaur LEGO. Here are the winners.
In the spirit of DINOVEMBER, the dinosaurs have come to life at Shirley Library! Come in and check out our display or see our images on Flickr. Bring in a photo to Shirley Library of your dinosaurs doing stuff (with your contact details) and we’ll put your picture up on display and you’ll go into the competition to win some dino-mo prizes. Closed 30 November 2015.
Courtney Barnett competition
Our Courtney Barnett ticket competition closed 29 October 2015. The winner of the double pass was Rebecca Taekema.
Christchurch Photo Hunt 2015
The theme of Christchurch Photo Hunt 2015 is ‘Arrivals and Departures — The journeys that have shaped us’. Take ownership of your city’s heritage, send in some of your old photos to help grow a photographic archive.
All entries had to be made by 5pm Saturday 31 October, 2015. The winner was announced on Friday 27 November 2015.
- Overall winner Jill Blacklock
- Places Ali Beken
- People Kathleen Morris
- Collection Flora Marker
Winners in each category (Places, People, Collection) won a Kobo Glow eReader. The prize for overall winner was a tablet. View the winning entries in our Christchurch Photo Hunt 2015 - the winners blog post.
Every Story tells a Picture art comp for teens
Every Story Tells a Picture – Art Competition for teens on the Pulse. Closed 5pm on Friday 31 July 2015.
Matariki competition - win an eReader
- Soundtrack to summer competition for teens (originally published on thepulse.org.nz, now closed)
- Christchurch photo hunt
- New Zealand Poetry Day competition 2013. Congratulations to Irena Tojcic and Daniel Bartlett. Their winning poems are published on our blog.
- Christchurch photo hunt
- Best reads of 2012: Four lucky people shared our great Best reads of 2012 prizes. Congratulations to Barbara, Katharine, Kerrie and Linda.
- Best books for kids
- Canterbury A&P Show competition. Congratulations to the winner of our Canterbury A&P Show competition, Peter, who was very happy to receive his Kobo Touch eReader®.
- MoreFM Sony E-Reader competition
- 2012 Christchurch Photo Hunt
- 2012 Women’s Lifestyle Expo - Guess how many pages in the book. The answer was 767. The two closest answers were 765 by F Reid and 776 by Aleisha Hurd.
- 2012 New Zealand Music Month. Congratulations to Rosanna who won an iPod Nano®.
- Customer satisfaction survey online 2012 - Harvey won an iPod Nano® for completing our survey.
- 2012 Summertime Reading photography competition
- 2011 Whakanuia Te Wiki o Te Reo Māori — Māori Language Week photo competition. To celebrate Māori Language Week/Te wiki o te reo Māori in 2011 we invited our customers to submit photographs that captured the essence of manaakitanga. Our winner was Kathy Watson, with a photograph of her family on Christmas Day.
- 2010 iPod shuffle winner announced. Braden Warnock won the iPod shuffle. He was one of 117 customers who completed an online card sort for the Source.
- 2009 Heritage Week Christchurch City Libraries Photo Hunt - winners
- 2009 Reading Crusade
- 2008 - 2009 Summertime Reading programme