Christmas in Christchurch
This page explores Christmas related events in Christchurch – from carol services and concerts to Santa parades and festive displays. Christmas events in Christchurch are listed on the Christchurch City Council website and Eventfinda. There are also Christmas events at libraries. Browse our holiday hours.
Christmas carols and music
Christmas in the Park is cancelled for 2020. The season of carols culminates with the YMCA Carols by Candlelight, taking place on Christmas Eve 24 December 2020. This year's venue is Victoria Square. This twilight gathering has been delighting Cantabrians and visitors every Christmas Eve since 1947.
Other carol services traditionally take place around the city. Check the CCC What's on calendar.
Christmas parades and Santa
- Saturday 28 November 11am Christmas in the city Follow Santa as he punts up the Avon from the Margaret Mahy Playground to the Bridge of Remembrance.
- Saturday 12 December 10am New Brighton Seaside Christmas Parade
- Sunday 13 December 2pm Rangiora Toyota Santa Parade
Some malls and shops may have a Santa in store to listen to kids’ gift requests, and having a photo taken on Santa’s knee is a New Zealand tradition.
Lights, decorations and displays
650 Shands Road is famous for its annual Christmas Lightshow. It's on 8.30pm until 11.30pm nightly 28 November until 30 December 2020. Entry is $5 per child and $5 per adult.
Christchurch shops often decorate their windows and have Christmas displays. Department store Ballantynes is famous for its Christmas window. This year's window launched on Friday 20 November from 4pm with an afternoon of entertainment, a sausage sizzle and dress-up competition.
- Our page of Christmas resources and information
- Christmas for kids
- Browse the Christmas photos in our collection.