Christchurch City Libraries lists literary prize winners and links to catalogue searches, but we may not hold copies of all titles mentioned.
In 1996, the Montana Book Awards merged with the New Zealand Book Awards to become the Montana New Zealand Book Awards. The Montana New Zealand Book Awards ran from 1996-2009.
- More information about the history of the New Zealand Book Awards.
- See more literary prize winners.
- 1st Bulibasha Witi Ihimaera, Penguin Books
- 2nd Māori healing and herbal Murdoch Riley, Viking Sevenseas NZ
- 3rd Pieces of music Michael Jackson, Random House
- 1st Let the river stand Vincent O’Sullivan, Penguin Books
- 2nd English-Maori dictionary H.M. Ngata, Learning Media Ltd
- 3rd 100 New Zealand poems Bill Manhire, Godwit Publishing