The Summertime Reading Challenge 2019 / 2020 is on from Monday 2 December 2019 to Saturday 29 February 2020. Discover something new and be in to win cool prizes.
How to enter
Post a completed Summertime Reading Challenge postcard at your library in Christchurch or Selwyn, or enter the Not Just Books challenge online:
Want some ideas for your Summertime Reading Challenge? Try these!
Not just books challenge
Complete at least five of these reading challenges yourself or team up with your friends and whānau. Tick the challenges off as your complete them.
- Watch, listen and learn a new skill with our eResources
- Read a newspaper
- Listen to an audiobook while you’re on the move
- Read a magazine
- Watch a film inspired by a book
- Attend a library event or programme
- Read a recipe – and make it!
- Read the latest copy of Huraina
- Set yourself a reading challenge and tell us what you read.
Whānau Fun Days
Come along and tick off some challenges for Summertime Reading and be in to win! Prizes include electronics, vouchers and more. There will be stories, craft, activities and giveaways. Free and fun for all the family.
- Saturday 21 December 2019: 1pm to 3pm: Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre [Subscribe to the Facebook event]
- Saturday 25 January 2020: 1pm to 3pm at Lincoln Library (Selwyn Libraries) [Subscribe to the Facebook event]
- Saturday 22 February 2020 1pm to 3pm: Tūranga [Subscribe to the Facebook event]
Summer Reading at Riverside Market
Every Monday and Friday during December, from 10am to 11am, get caught reading at the Riverside Market by our undercover librarians and be in to win a voucher to spend at the markets.
Come along and visit our mini library experience in the heart of Riverside Market. Take time out to relax, read and play.
Check out our pop-up library on wheels on the bank of the Avon River, next to Riverside Market, every Monday in February from 10am to 12noon.
Facebook competition 2 - closes Monday 16 December
Summertime Reading Challenge Competition Number TWO! 'We are here: An atlas of Aotearoa' by Chris McDowall and Tim Denee...
Instagram competition 1 - closed Monday 9 December
View this post on Instagramopens a new window
Summertime Reading Challenge Competition Number ONE! 'We are here: An atlas of Aotearoa' by Chris McDowall and Tim Denee is one of my fave books of 2019? What is your best book of the year? Tell us and be in to win a bluetooth speaker thanks to @tsb_nz. This competition is open to Christchurch residents only. Here's how to enter: 1. Like this post & follow @ChristchurchLib 2. Comment below with your favourite book/s of 2019. We will choose a winner and contact them by DM after Monday 9 December. #GetCaughtReading #SummertimeReadingChallenge #iglibraries #librariesofinstagram #ChristchurchCityLibraries #WhatsOnChch #Christchurch This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram. Check our website for more information on the Summertime Reading Challenge.opens a new window
Who can enter?
The Summertime Reading Challenge is open to all ages
What if you have parents who work for Christchurch City Council?
That is fine, the children of Council employees can still enter the competition.
Do I need to have a library card?
No. You do not need to be a member of Christchurch City Libraries to be eligible to enter.
Where can I get a postcard entry form?
You can pick up a postcard from any Christchurch City or Selwyn Library, cut one out of the latest edition of Huraina, download a copy or simply fill in the online entry form to be in the draw!
How do I enter for the prize draw?
You can enter when you have had an adult tick, sticker or stamp that you have had 5 reading experiences from the options listed on the challenge sheet. Once you have completed this – take your entry form in to any Christchurch City or Selwyn Library and hand to a staff member to be in the draw to win.
How many entries in the prize draw am I allowed?
You may enter as many times as you like.
What are the prizes?
The prizes include electronics, vouchers and more!
When will the winners be drawn?
The winners will be randomly drawn and announced on our website and Facebook page in the week following the close of both competitions.
What if I have more questions?
Contact us and we can answer your questions.
My child is too young to complete the reading experiences on their own – how am I still able to enter?
The emphasis this year is on encouraging shared family experiences – your preschoolers will obviously be having these experiences alongside an adult. Have fun together as you celebrate the joy of reading!
Terms and conditions
- The Summertime Reading Challenge is open to all ages.
- The competition is open between 2 December 2019 and 29 February 2020.
- Entries must be returned to any one of the Christchurch City or Selwyn Libraries, or submitted via online entry form by 5pm on Saturday 29 February 2020.
- Prizes will be advised. Winners will be drawn at random and announced on our website and Facebook page in the week following the close of the competition.
- Prize allocation is at the discretion of the Christchurch City Council. All decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Entries must have all correct contact details and at least 5 challenges stamped, stickered or ticked to be in the draw.