Pens to paper (or fingers to keyboard)! There is only one month until National Poetry Day on Friday 28 August. Several poetry competitions are currently open but with submission dates that end in the next few weeks (with winners generally being announced on National Poetry Day).
There are several nationwide poetry competitions this year as well as one for Christchurch poets.
Nationwide Poetry Competitions
- 15th Annual Upper Hutt Library Poetry Competition (Submission Dates: 5 June – 7 August 2015.)
- Animal Laureate Poetry Competition (Submission Dates: Open Now – 14 August 2014)
- Tararua District Library Online Poetry Competition (Submission Dates: 1 August – 21 August 2015)
- School for Young Writers - An Ode to Librarians competition (Closing date: 11 September)
Christchurch Poetry Competition
Hagley Writers’ Institute National Poetry Day Competition - Open to current and previous students at Hagley Writers’ Institute. (Submission Dates: 25 July – 7 August 2015)
Christchurch Poetry Event
0800 Muse - Kickstarting the poem: A public workshop to get you in touch with your muse. Open to all. Meet at 1oam for morning tea. The workshop will run from 10.30am-12pm, followed by the announcement of The Hagley Writers' Institute National Poetry Day competition winners and celebratory readings from competition winners, Frankie McMillan (judge), Kerrin P Sharpe, Christina Stachurski, Bernadette Hall and more.
Date: Saturday 29 August, 10am - 1pm
Place: The Writers' Block, Hagley College, Hagley Avenue.
Bookings: Registration required. Register by August 27th. For further information and workshop registration contact Morrin Rout, Director - Hagley Writers' Institute. email firstname.lastname@example.org, (03) 329 9789 or 021 046 4189
Need inspiration? Check out our poetry resources
- Our poetry page
- Poetry and Short Story Reference Center
- Poetry groups in Christchurch & Canterbury
- Search our catalogue for New Zealand poetry