Emilie Croxton was born in Mangawhare, northern Wairoa, in Auckland Province. In Auckland in 1879, she married Charles Henry Croxton (1855-1923), a manager of the South British Insurance Company. There were two daughters of the marriage. The family settled in Christchurch in 1887, and lived in the Merivale area. Mrs Croxton was active in the Girls’ Friendly Society, a Church of England organisation formed in 1882 for girls who worked in shops and factories. The Society provided recreational facilities, with games, music, a library, and lectures in cooking, needlework and first aid. Mrs Croxton was a member of the Home Industries Committee, one of the organising committees of the 1906 New Zealand International Exhibition.
During World War One, she was an
indefatigable worker for the welfare of the troops overseas and at home,1and she was also an enthusiastic croquet player. At the time of her death, Mrs Croxton was the Girls’ Friendly Society vice-president.
- ↑ ‘Obituary’, The Press, 13 April, p 2
- Gambrill, M.D. Girls’ Friendly Society in New Zealand, 1882-1983.
- Obituary, The Press, 13 April 1928, p 2