Find out about sustainable living events, activities, and resources at libraries.
Find sustainable living eResources, books, and eBooks in our collection.
Sustainability Resources - Global
Sustainability Resources - Local
About the Sustainable Living Series
Christchurch City Council has been a leader on climate change for many years and is now actively planning to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and build the resilience that Christchurch needs to support climate adaptation. In support of this, a series of public talks, workshops and Storytimes are being created.
The Sustainable Living Series was launched on Sunday 10 February 2019 at Tūranga. It starts off a two-year programme developed by Christchurch City Libraries to support the Council's climate change strategy.
Christchurch City Council defines sustainability as:
A dynamic process of continual improvement that enables all people, now and in the future, to have quality of life, in ways that protect and enhance the Earth’s life supporting systems.
Sustainable Christchurch on the Christchurch City Council website has lots of information about living and working smarter, making better choices. Find out about:
- Sustainability at home
- Schools and sustainability
- Sustainable transport
- Sustainable communities
- Resource efficient Council
Read more about Sustainability policies at Christchurch City Council.
- Brightr - Supports homeowners & builders get to more energy efficient solutions.
- CEA - Community Energy Action - Charitable trust that provides (subsidised) insulation or heating, other energy efficiency services and independent energy advice for residents in Canterbury and the West Coast.
- Community gardens in Christchurch - from CINCH (Community Information Christchurch)
- ECAN - Environment Canterbury Regional Council - Manages the use and quality of our natural resources, including water, land and air.
- EECA - Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority - Te Tari Tiaki Pūngao
- Gen Less - Live more with less energy. The home of climate action and ideas
The Sustainable Living Programme
The Sustainable Living Programme is a New Zealand community education programme is a practical, fun way to learn and try out actions that reduce your environmental impact at home. It’s an opportunity to 'make a difference for the planet', probably save on living costs and be healthier too. Think of it as learning future living skills, relevant at any stage in life. The charitable trust is managed from Canterbury for 15+ partner unitary, city and district councils across New Zealand.