Fun Palaces is an ongoing campaign for cultural democracy, with an annual international weekend of action every October. The campaign promotes culture at the heart of community and community at the heart of culture. The weekend of action uses the combination of arts, craft, science, tech, digital, heritage and sports activities, led by local people for local people, sharing their own passions and skills, as a catalyst for community-led transformation, with active participation for all ages.
Tūranga Fun Palace - Saturday 5 and Sunday 6 October 2019
Tūranga is going to be more action-packed than ever this weekend as we celebrate this free international celebration of culture at the heart of community using arts, sciences, craft, technology, digital, heritage and other activities as a catalyst for community engagement. Fun for all ages!
Saturday 5 October
- Imagination Station: LEGO Trains 10am to 1.30pm, Creative Space, Hapori | Community, Level 1
- Poi making: 10am to 12pm, Tautoru / TSB Space, Hapori | Community, Level 1
- Just Dance: 10am to 12pm, Big screen, Hapori | Community, Level 1
- VR Experience: 10am to 12pm, Auahatanga | Creativity, Level 4
- Rekindle - String making: 10.30am to 11.30am, 11.30am to 12.30pm, Tautoru / TSB Space, Hapori | Community, Level 1
- Firefly Belly dancing demonstration and have a go, 1pm to 2pm, He Hononga / Connection, Ground Floor
- Family Makerspace: Tuvalu Language Week Craft Session, 2.30pm to 4pm, Creative Space, Hapori | Community, Level 1
- Lumo Soccer 3pm to 5pm, Activity room, Hapori | Community, Level 1
Sunday 6 October
- Imagination Station: LEGO Trains 10am to 4.30pm, Creative Space, Hapori | Community, Level 1
- Wa Pepi, Babytimes,10.30am to 11am, Hapori | Community, Level 1
- Open Studio Time, 10.30am to 12.30pm, Audio/Video Studio, Auahatanga | Creativity, Level 4
- Alpha Robot, 11am and 2pm, Tuhuratanga | Discovery, Level 3
- Filipino Youth in NZ Dancers: 12pm, He Hononga | Connection Ground Floor
- House of Dance: 1pm, He Hononga | Connection, Ground Floor
- Argentine Tango: 2pm, He Hononga | Connection, Ground Floor
- VR Experience, 2pm - 4pm, Auahatanga | Creativity, Level 4
- Just Dance video game, 2pm - 4pm, Hapori | Community, Level 1
All day (both days)
- He Hononga / Connection, Ground Floor - The Green Connection Pod, Jigsaw Making, Auaha Hihi, Spark Place
- Hapori | Community, Level 1 - Board Games, Ricoh Screen, Lego Mosaic, Colouring in (Lumo Soccer - Sunday)
- Tuhuratanga | Discovery, Level 3 - Collage making, Drawing sessions
What are Fun Palaces?
Back in the 1960s, the concept of Fun Palaces was conceived by British theatre director Joan Littlewood and architect Cedric Price. They imagined it as ‘laboratory of fun’ and ‘a university of the streets’. In 2014, expat Kiwi writer, actor, and directory (and more) Stella Duffy and her team made it real - with 138 fun palaces:
Fun Palaces are about creating and making together: they are a space where arts and sciences, fun and learning meet, working alongside and working together.
More Fun Palaces info
- Find out about Fun Palaces
- Check out the Fun Palaces website
- Follow @FunPalaces on Twitter
- Fun Palaces on Instagram
- Like Fun Palaces on Facebook
- Play with the Fun Palaces comic maker
Fun Palaces on Twitter
Fun Palaces photos
See our photos of Fun Palaces on Flickr.
Previous Fun Palaces
Fun Palaces 2016
Central Library Peterborough was a Fun Palace from 10am to 2pm on the weekend of Saturday 1 and Sunday 2 October. Here's what happened.
Fun Palaces 2015
Fun Palaces came to Christchurch! In the weekend of Saturday 3 and Sunday 4 October 2015, we were the first place in the world to get our Fun Palace on!