Curragh Cottage, Ferrymead Heritage Park, 3 April 2010: Picturing Canterbury

Curragh Cottage, Ferrymead Heritage Park. Originally erected at 104 Holly Road and relocated to Ferrymead Heritage Park in 1972. Photograph taken 3 April 2010. Kete Christchurch is a collection of photographs and stories about Christchurch and Canterbury, past and present. Anyone can join and contribute. Visit Kete Christchurch View more Picturing Canterbury posts Do you have any further photographs of […]

Read More from Curragh Cottage, Ferrymead Heritage Park, 3 April 2010: Picturing Canterbury

Postcard Hilltop Hotel: Picturing Canterbury

Postcard of old Hilltop Hotel on Summit Road, Christchurch-Akaroa Highway. Entry in the 2016 Christchurch City Libraries Photo Hunt by Gladys Gurney. Kete Christchurch is a collection of photographs and stories about Christchurch and Canterbury, past and present. Anyone can join and contribute. Visit Kete Christchurch View more Picturing Canterbury posts Do you have any further photographs of the Hill […]

Read More from Postcard Hilltop Hotel: Picturing Canterbury

Cathedral Square: Past and Future

Cathedral Square has long been an important civic space for Christchurch. In its time it has functioned as a transport hub and "movie theatre central". It's been a meeting place, and a stage for political protest, debate and speeches. It has been the home to markets, tourism operators, and of course, a cathedral. Numerous concerts […]

Read More from Cathedral Square: Past and Future

Canterbury Croquet Association formed – This week in History 31 July – 6 August

The Canterbury Croquet Association (New Zealand’s first such regional association) formed on the third of August in 1910. The founding clubs were Ashburton, Kaiapoi, Rangiora, St. Albans, Sumner, Temuka, Timaru and United Clubs. Templeton also joined in September that first year. The Association formed to organise more inter-club tournaments and to raise the profile of […]

Read More from Canterbury Croquet Association formed – This week in History 31 July – 6 August

Open air classrooms opened at Fendalton Primary School – This week in History 24-30 July

The first open air classroom at Fendalton Primary School was officially opened on the 26th of July 1924 by Mr E.H. Andrews, a member of the Canterbury Education Board. Professor Shelley, who was Professor of Education at Canterbury College, also gave an opening address encouraging the school and committee to continue the project. This first […]

Read More from Open air classrooms opened at Fendalton Primary School – This week in History 24-30 July