As a kid
- He used to pretend to be Wonder Woman (he demonstrated this with a nice twirl).
- He dressed up in a silk dressing gown and put a "David Walliams Private Detective" sign on his door.
- David was decked out in a mauve bridesmaid's dress by his sister.
Tips for budding writers
- Have a very evil villain.
- Write a story that you'd like to read.
- Read as many books as you can.
His favourite books as a kid
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- The Lion, The witch and the wardrobe
- Stig of the dump (approving noises from my other half for that announcement)
He remembers lying with his head on his Dad's chest, as he read him Green eggs and ham.
David in action
David did a couple of readings, from Gangsta Granny and Awful Auntie.
Coming up from David Walliams - a picture book called The Bear who went boo, and the tale of a little boy who busts his grandad out of a maximum security twilight resthome.
- Read our posts on WORD Christchurch events, and view our photos.
- David is also appearing at Auckland Writers Festival this weekend.
- Search our catalogue for books by David Walliams.