Date of birth: 29 August 1968
Place of birth: Oamaru
Now living in: Lyttelton, Banks Peninsula
- What is your favourite food?
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- I try to avoid them.
- How do you relax?
- Read a book.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- Children’s book illustrators. Beatrix Potter. E. H. Shepard
- What were you like at school?
- Very shy.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Art was my favourite. Maths my most hated.
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- The Narnia series by C. S. Lewis.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- An artist, Gustav Klimt.
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- Fantasy - Cecilia Dart-Thornton.
Children’s - J.K. Rowling.
Picture books - Shaun Tan, Helen Ward.
- Why did you want to be a illustrator?
- I love art and books.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- In the living room with the family!
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- Best: I love what I do. So do my kids.
Worst: it’s a hard way to make money.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- A curator of my own art gallery.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Never give up!
This interview is from 2006.