Kia ora. On this page we share some of the cool Māori resources we have for tamariki. Get crafty, read and learn te reo Māori, and explore.
Find out what is happened in June 2016 for Matariki.
Te Whata Raki
Mā te kimi ka kite, mā te kite ka mōhio, mā te mōhio ka mārama!
Seek and discover, discover and know, know and become enlightened!
Come and discover the new world inside Te Whata Raki. Explore our online world with your guide, Whetu Marama. Learn some traditional stories, told through waiata, pictures and other web resources before trying out the quiz.
Te Whata Raki is bilingual and available as an app for Android and iPad 2 (and above).
Treaty Zone is our place for kids to find out about the Treaty of Waitangi.
Find Māori resources in our catalogue
Want to find stuff for kids about Māori subjects in our collection? Try these searches:
- Fiction in Te Reo Māori
- Non-fiction in Te Reo Māori
- Kōrero Paki Mā Ngā Tamariki
- Children’s books in Te Reo Māori
- Books on vocabulary for children
- Best Te Reo Māori titles for kids 2014
- Best Te Reo Māori titles for kids 2013
- Favourite picture books in Te Reo Māori 2012
- Te Wiki o Te Reo Māori modern classic picture books
- Māori stories aimed at beginner readers
- Māori stories aimed at junior readers
- Māori stories aimed at older readers
- Māori authors writing in English (for ages 10–13)
- Te Reo Māori books by Māori authors (for ages 10–13)
- Kids' Treaty Zone booklist
- Making a putiputi
- Guide to making a putiputi (flower) from harakeke.
- Te Manu Tukutuku – Māori kites for kids
- Find out about Māori kites – manu tukutuku or manu aute.
- Find out about traditional Māori weaving.
- Story blankets
- Explore photos of story blankets at Rehua Marae, 2012.
- Stars of Matariki / Ngā whetu o Matariki
- Step by step instructions on making a star from harakeke.
Download these colouring in pages.
- Mana [29KB PNG, 180KB PDF]
- Places [39KB PNG, 224KB PDF]
- Mātauranga [77KB PNG, 214KB PDF]
- Ngā mahi hou [59KB PNG, 200KB PDF]
- Whānau [62KB PNG, 398KB PDF]
- Matariki shapes [90KB PNG, 204KB PDF]
Te Reo Māori
- A Beginner’s Kete
- A tool to help learn the basics of the Māori language.
- Te Wā Kōrero - Storytime [22MB PDF]
- Our bilingual Ready for Reading story book about a trip to the library.
- A fun quiz to test your reo.
- Te reo storybooks online
- Choose from four books in Te Reo.
- Te Reo at the International Children's Digital Library
- Read Māori books online from the International Children's Digital Library
Ngā Kete Wānanga o Ōtautahi (Christchurch City Libraries) celebrate:
Naia kā waiata o Kāi Tahu includes free downloads for the music and words of Kāi Tahu waiata.
New Zealand folk song has a collection of waiata, including plenty for kids.