Te Ao Māori - Tamariki
Kia ora. On this page we share some of the cool Māori resources we have for tamariki. Get crafty, read and learn te reo Māori, and explore.
Ngā Whāinga - Challenges
Ngā Whāinga – Challenges
Tī Kōuka Whenua
Treaty Zone is our place for kids to find out about the Treaty of Waitangi.
- Best Te Reo Māori titles for kids 2014
- Best Te Reo Māori titles for kids 2013
- Favourite picture books in Te Reo Māori 2012
- Te Wiki o Te Reo Māori modern classic picture books
- Māori stories aimed at beginner readers
- Māori stories aimed at junior readers
- Māori stories aimed at older readers
- Māori authors writing in English (for ages 10–13)
- Te Reo Māori books by Māori authors (for ages 10–13)
- Kids' Treaty Zone booklist
- Making a putiputi
- Guide to making a putiputi (flower) from harakeke.
- Te Manu Tukutuku – Māori kites for kids
- Find out about Māori kites – manu tukutuku or manu aute.
- Find out about traditional Māori weaving.
- Story blankets
- Explore photos of story blankets at Rehua Marae, 2012.
- Stars of Matariki / Ngā whetu o Matariki
- Step by step instructions on making a star from harakeke.
Download these colouring in pages.
- Te Iwa o Matariki star names [285KB PNG, 206KB PDF]
- Te Iwa o Matariki Ruru [277KB PNG, 234KB PDF]
- Matariki whānau [292KB PNG, 264KB PDF]
Te Reo Māori
- A Beginner’s Kete
- A tool to help learn the basics of the Māori language.
- Te Wā Kōrero - Storytime [22MB PDF]
- Our bilingual Ready for Reading story book about a trip to the library.
- A fun quiz to test your reo.
- Te reo storybooks online
- Choose from four books in Te Reo.
- Te Reo at the International Children's Digital Library
- Read Māori books online from the International Children's Digital Library
Ngā Kete Wānanga o Ōtautahi (Christchurch City Libraries) celebrate:
Search our catalogue for:
Naia kā waiata o Kāi Tahu includes free downloads for the music and words of Kāi Tahu waiata.
New Zealand folk song has a collection of waiata, including plenty for kids.