Name: Judy Knox
Date of birth: 22 November, 1939
Place of birth: Dunedin
Now living in: Dunedin, but have also been teaching in Romania
- What is your favourite food?
- Crayfish salad
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- Tripping over on the stage during a school prize-giving.
- How do you relax?
- Reading, listening to music (classical).
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- Edmund Hillary
- What were you like at school?
- Very quiet - shy - worked hard.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Favourite: English.
Most hated: Science.
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- Swallows and Amazons, by Arthur Ransome.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- Captain Scott (South Pole).
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- Arthur Ransome.
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- I like telling stories!
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- No - anywhere with peace and quiet.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- Best: thrill of seeing a book in print and having people tell me they have read it.
Worst: can’t make enough money to live on,
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- I’m not really a full-time writer - I wish I could be! I’m really a teacher and I love it.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Keep trying.
This interview is from 2002.