Christchurch City Libraries lists literary prize winners and links to catalogue searches, but we may not hold copies of all titles mentioned.
The Costa Book Awards are some of the most prestigious British literary awards. They were launched in 1971 as the Whitbread Literary Awards, which became the Whitbread Book Awards in 1985. Costa Coffee took over sponsorship in 2006.
The Award winners from the five categories - Novel, First Novel, Biography, Poetry and Children’s Book - each receive £5,000.
The overall Costa Book of the Year is selected from the five category Award winners, with the winner receiving a further £30,000. Visit the Costa Book Awards site for more information.
- Book of the Year 2019 winner: The Volunteer: The True Story of the Resistance Hero who Infiltrated Auschwitz Jack Fairweather
- Children’s Book 2019 winner: Asha & the Spirit Bird Jasbinder Bilan
- Novel 2019 winner: Middle England Jonathan Coe
- First Novel 2019 winner: The Confessions of Frannie Langton Sara Collins
- Biography 2019 winner: The Volunteer: The True Story of the Resistance Hero who Infiltrated Auschwitz Jack Fairweather
- Poetry 2019 winner: Flèche Mary Jean Chan
See more literary prize winners.