Christchurch City Libraries lists literary prize winners and links to catalogue searches, but we may not hold copies of all titles mentioned.
The Costa Book Awards are some of the most prestigious British literary awards. They were launched in 1971 as the Whitbread Literary Awards, which became the Whitbread Book Awards in 1985. Costa Coffee took over sponsorship in 2006.
The Award winners from the five categories - Novel, First Novel, Biography, Poetry and Children’s Book - each receive £5,000.
The overall Costa Book of the Year is selected from the five category Award winners, with the winner receiving a further £30,000. Visit the Costa Book Awards site for more information.
- Book of the Year announced 29 January 2019
- Children’s Book 2018 winner: The Skylarks’ War Hilary McKay
- Novel 2018 winner: Normal People Sally Rooney
- First Novel 2018 winner:The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle Stuart Turton
- Biography 2018 winner: The Cut Out Girl Bart van Es
- Poetry 2018 winner: Assurances J. O. Morgan
See more literary prize winners.