The New Zealand Government has developed WW100, a programme to mark the First World War centenary from 2014 to 2018. This page links to First World War content as well as events and activities in Christchurch and Canterbury.
First World War resources
First World War resources
Our collection of First World War material including digital collection, photographs, and topics.
First World War memorials and monuments in Greater Christchurch
Kete Christchurch's listing of local memorials and monuments. See also Stories from the First World War for biographies of men and women listed on them.
New Zealand and the First World War
Information from New Zealand History online.
Information on New Zealand service personnel from Auckland War Memorial Museum.
100chch on Twitter
Follow our tweets from @100chch to discover life and events 100 years ago in Christchurch and Canterbury.
Our tweets are derived from the following historical newspapers on Papers Past:
- Akaroa Mail and Banks Peninsula Advertiser
- Ashburton Guardian
- Ellesmere Guardian
- NZ Truth
- The Press
- The Star
- The Sun
Cecil Malthus @malthus_letters writes to My own dear Hazel from April 1914 to his discharge in April 1917. See our page Cecil Malthus : World War I papers [letters, telegrams, documents].
- Explore the WW100 website http://ww100.govt.nz/
- Follow @WW100NZ on Twitter
- Follow @life100yearago on Twitter
- Search the hashtags WW100 and WW1913
- Like WW100NZ on Facebook
Canterbury 100 is a collaborative project, co–ordinated by the region’s major cultural and heritage institutions, telling the story and experiences of Canterbury people during the First World War.
Canterbury WW100 activities
Here are some resources, events and activities in our region:
- Kete Christchurch: Stories from the First World War Biographies of Christchurch soldiers
- Avenue of Remembrance – Waddington / Sheffield, Canterbury
- Fields of Remembrance
- Lincoln University Community Archive World War One 1914-1918
- Saluting the Sacrifice: A Centenary Remembrance of World War One
- Ferrymead Military Display
- Methodist rolls of honour and memorial plaques
- SCRoll – Biographies of South Cantabrians
- Mid Canterbury rolls of honour
- Mid–Canterbury’s World War One Soldiers
- Mt Hutt & Methven ‘Fallen & Survivors’ website
You can find the following images on postcards available in our libraries.
- Download postcards, set 1, 2014 [1.88MB PDF]
- Download postcards, set 2, 2014,[1.69MB PDF]
- Download badge set postcard 2015 [155 KB PDF]
- Download postcards, 2016 [7.54 MB PDF]