Christchurch City Libraries celebrates NZ Music Month during May every year. Find out more about this month-long celebration, and our music resources. View gigs in our events calendar.
NZ Music Month 2019
Live at the Library - Tūranga
Live performances by local musicians and school groups throughout the month on Hononga | Connect, Ground level.
Schedule of performances:
- Friday 10 May 12pm to 1pm James Parore, He Hononga | Connection, Ground Floor
- Friday 10 May 6pm to 7pm 'Clube do Choro' - traditional from Brasil, He Hononga | Connection, Ground Floor or Foundation Cafe
- Sunday 12 May 2pm to 4pm CSM (Christchurch School of Music), Tautoru / TSB Space, Hapori | Community, Level 1
- Friday 17 May 12pm to 1pm School performance
- Friday 17 May 6pm to 7pm Joe Batt’s Arm, He Hononga | Connection, Ground Floor or Foundation Cafe
- Sunday 19 May 2pm to 4pm CSM (Christchurch School of Music), Tautoru / TSB Space, Hapori | Community, Level 1
- Friday 24 May 12pm to 1pm School performance
- Friday 24 May 6pm to 7pm Hannah Everingham He Hononga | Connection, Ground Floor
- Sunday 26 May 2pm to 4pm Judith Bell, Tautoru / TSB Space, Hapori | Community, Level 1
- Friday 31 May 12pm to 1pm Christchurch East School, He Hononga | Connection, Ground Floor
- Friday 31 May 6pm to 7pm Southcreek, He Hononga | Connection, Ground Floor or Foundation Cafe
Live at the Library - New Brighton
Live performances by local musicians throughout the month.
Takumi Japanese Drummers at Linwood and Tūranga
Taiko is a traditional Japanese form of percussion performance using large drums, or wadaiko. Each player drums in formation with big and little drums in synchronized actions. There are two opportunities to see and hear Takumi Japanese Drummers:
- Saturday 4 May 1.30-2pm Linwood Library at Eastgate
- Saturday 25 May 3-3.30pm Tautoru/TSB Space on Hapori/Level 1, Tūranga
Shang Ya Music Studio - Upper Riccarton Library
Shang Ya Music Studio is an organisation that values musical education for the younger generation. Join us for musical performances from the students, aged 3 to 16 years.
Linwood College Showcase Concert - Linwood Library at Eastgate
Come along to Linwood Library and enjoy the talents of our young people for NZ Music Month! A variety of acts from students at Linwood College, there's something for everyone! Refreshments provided.
NZMM 2019 photos
About New Zealand Music Month
NZ Music Month was first celebrated in 2001. That May, only 6 per cent of album sales for the month were by New Zealand acts. Aiming to boost homegrown music, the initiative gave the media a chance to showcase local talent.
After five years of NZ Music Month, homegrown acts made up 29 per cent of albums sold, and there was similar increase in radio airplay. In the last couple of years, the month has started to become a truly national celebration, with the public encouraged to show their support through attending events, buying music and wearing the T-shirt.
NZ Music Month is a partnership between the NZ Music Commission and a number of other organisations including songwriters’ association APRA, Independent Music NZ, NZ On Air, the Radio Broadcasters Association and Recorded Music New Zealand.
Music at Christchurch City Libraries
We have music resources including CDs, tapes, LPs and DVDs as well as thousands of music scores, music magazines, and online music in eResources.
Explore our page about New Zealand music including:
- Māori music
- Christchurch's music scene
- Profiles of local musicians
- New Zealand Music Month blog posts
- Music images in our collection
- NZ Music Month from NZ on Screen