Dr Benjamin Reese Jr shares his wisdom of almost fifty years working with unconscious bias, including as Vice President of Institutional Equity at Duke University and the Head of the Duke University Hospital System.
- Part I: What is unconscious (or implicit) bias?; How does it differ from conscious/explicit bias?; some types of unconscious bias (confirmation bias, halo effect, group think); challenges and dangers of unconscious bias; juries; pros and cons of Harvard's Project Implicit Association test;
- Part II: How researchers think unconscious bias develops, and at what age; influences on unconscious bias; examples of research which demonstrates unconscious bias; how unconscious bias can change with external influence; the impact of stress and fatigue;
- Part III: Who are we unconsciously biased towards?; the value of trying to recognise and move beyond your own unconscious biases; unconscious power among groups with and without power; unconscious bias and policing;
- Part IV: What do we do about unconscious bias?; strategies for addressing your own unconscious bias; the importance of trying to also address structural bias; the brain science behind unconscious bias.
Find out more in our collection
- Find titles about bias
- Find titles about stereotypes
- Find titles about discrimination
- Find articles about unconscious bias (access with your library card & password / PIN)
- Find articles about discrimination (access with your library card & password / PIN)