Each year we deliver about 5,000 Books for Babies packs to parents and babies through hospitals, midwives and the Homebirth Association. The pack contains a high-contrast black and white board book — perfect for very young babies up to about six months.
The Books for Babies pack includes
- A board book. Baby’s World is the first New Zealand black and white, high contrast board book. It was published by Penguin Books (NZ) in 2000, originally as a cloth book. A board book edition was produced especially for the Books for Babies Project. A second title Baby’s World of Nature is now also distributed.
- A Preschool programmes brochure [1.02MB PDF].
- A library enrolment form [224KB PDF]. The enrolment form is also available in Te Reo Māori [148KB PDF]. In 2005 almost 400 babies were enrolled straight away as a result of getting a Books for Babies pack.
Do babies enjoy the book?
This is what Connor’s parents said:
Baby’s world has been a wonderful visual development tool for the first three months of Connor’s life. It has been very gratifying to see him respond to the pictures, even in first few weeks from birth. He loves it!
Books for Babies packs are a gift to you and your baby from Christchurch City Libraries. We are grateful for those who have given support to this programme, including:
- Penguin Books NZ
- Mrs E. Mars and Miss G. O’Connor
- Friends of the Library
- Kiwanis Club of Waimairi
- Friends, volunteers, midwives and hospital staff who deliver the pack to parents and babies