Wā Pēpi: Babytimes and Wā Kōrero: Storytimes encourage learning through a love of reading with stories, rhymes, music and play. During each session we share a variety of stories, songs, rhymes, fingerplays and other book related activities.
Wā Pēpi: Babytimes
Wā Pēpi: Babytimes programmes include music, movement, rhymes and a book, and are suitable for babies and under 2s. Meet others in the community and join our relaxed, fun group for interactive songs, rhymes, and books that will delight and develop your baby or toddler. All whānau and caregivers welcome. Free, no bookings required. See our list of Wā Pēpi: Babytimes.
Can’t make it to Wā Pēpi: Babytimes this week? Try Baby Rhymes at home.
Wā Kōrero: Storytimes
Wā Kōrero programmes include stories, music, movement and rhymes for children aged 2 and over. Meet others in our community when you and your pre-schooler join us for a fun variety of stories, songs and rhymes which foster children’s literacy. All whānau and caregivers welcome. Free, no bookings required. See our list of Wā Kōrero: Storytimes.
- Regular Ngā Pakiwaitara: Bilingual Storytimes (in English and te reo Māori) take place at Tūranga every Tuesday, 10.30am.
- Faitauga Tusi: Samoan Storytimes are on the last Saturday of the month at Tūranga, 10.30am
- Bilingual English and Mandarin storytimes are on at Tūranga on the second Saturday of the month at 11am.
- Bilingual English and Korean storytimes are on 3rd Friday of the month at Upper Riccarton Library, 10am
- Storytimes at Barrington Mall 2nd Monday of the month 10.30am to 11.30am
- Tūranga librarians will do a Storytimes at the monthly Art Safari at Christchurch Art Gallery Te Puna o Waiwhetū on the first Thursday of the month, 10.30am.
- Monthly Bedtime Stories at Fendalton Library, Fridays 6.30pm to 7.30pm
Can't visit the library?
Try Online Babytimes and Online Storytimes.
Can't make it to our preschool sessions? Contact our Preschool Outreach team who may be able to visit your group or preschool.
Learning parties: He Whakangahau Kōrero
Learning parties complement our Ready for Reading packs that are given to all children at four. Whether you are a parent or an early childhood group or centre we can arrange for our Outreach librarian to come and host a learning party. We will present stories and Ready for reading packs to the children and teach you how to play fun games together that encourage early literacy skills - with balloons, stickers and stamps for extra fun. Find out more about Learning parties.
Other music sessions for preschoolers lists play groups utilising music from CINCH.