This page links to library services and useful information for parents and families.
- Preschool services
- Find out everything the Library can offer to preschoolers (and their adults).
- Children in our libraries
- Our policies on unattended children in our libraries.
- Library events calendar
- Includes programmes for kids and preschoolers.
- CINCH Community Information Christchurch
- CINCH lists parenting courses, support organisations, and school holiday programmes.
- Starting school
- Resources to help you choose a school for your child and get them ready to start school.
In our learning section, we have guides to helping your children learn to read:
- Building a home literacy environment
- Helping your child to learn to read is not just about skills, it’s also about enjoyment, encouragement and developing confidence.
- Ready for Reading
- When your child turns four the library will give them a Ready for reading pack for free.
- Sharing books with preschoolers
- Tips for sharing books with preschoolers, including babies and toddlers.
We also have reading lists for children including:
- Books for new siblings
- A list of books to help prepare children for a new baby.
- Picture books about mathematics concepts
- A list of books to teach preschoolers about mathematics concepts.
- Picture books about scientific concepts
- A list of books to teach preschoolers about scientific concepts.
- Top read alouds for last 150 years
- To mark 150 years of Christchurch City Libraries, the Children’s Library Team created a list of the Top 5 Read Alouds for every decade the Library has been open.
Christchurch City Libraries has an outreach programme for parents. Our Outreach Librarians are able to visit your centre or parent group to enrol children as library members, share tips on reading to children and describe what we have to offer parents and children. Please contact us to make a booking, or to have a Learning Party.