This page links you to agencies and organisations providing information and assistance for earthquake recovery.
Rebuild and repair - questions and answers
- In the know
- A site where Canterbury residents can get information about the residential rebuild and repair process. Developed in collaboration with community representatives and recovery agencies. Post your question and they will answer.
- EQC (Earthquake Commission)
- Civil Defence
- Christchurch City Council: the rebuild
- Greater Christchurch Group - Coordinates central Government's ongoing role in the recovery and regeneration of greater Christchurch
- New foundations - Waimakariri District Council
- Ōtākaro Ltd - Crown company established to deliver key anchor projects and precincts in Christchurch.
- Regenerate Christchurch - Established to lead regeneration activities across greater Christchurch.
- Selwyn District Council
- Operates power distribution network for Christchurch and Central Canterbury.
- SCIRT (Stronger Christchurch Infrastructure Rebuild Team)
- Information about repair work to city services (roads, water supply, storm water and wastewater systems and parks) following the earthquakes.
- SCIRT Learning Legacy
- The SCIRT Learning Legacy project began part way through the SCIRT programme to capture, document and share SCIRT learnings and innovations. It aims to make freely available the resources and tools to benefit organisations and communities world-wide, particularly those in high hazard zones.
- Transport for Christchurch
- Map showing major road works and closures.
- Fletcher EQR
- Official website of the firm awarded the oversight of the Canterbury residential repair and rebuild.
- The rebuild
- Information from the Christchurch City Council.
- Canterbury earthquake heritage building fund
- Fund to assist owners of heritage buildings to repair damage.
- Earthquake repairs
- Videos and other information from the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment about best practice for earthquake repairs like "jack and pack".
EQC and insurance companies
- EQC (Earthquake Commission)
- New Zealand’s primary provider of natural disaster insurance to residential property owners. Their site features detailed information on making a claim.
- New Zealand insurance companies
- A listing of local insurers from our Internet Gateway. Many have information specific to the Canterbury earthquake.
- Insurance advice
- General information on dealing with the aftermath of natural disasters. From the Insurance Council of New Zealand.
Coping with stress
- Managing stress in an emergency
- Advice from the Ministry of Health.
- Dr Rob’s tips
- Dr Rob Gordon is an Australian specialist in disaster psychology who has supported people affected by more than 30 disasters. Watch the video in which Dr Gordon offers tips on dealing with earthquake-related stress.
- All Right Wellbeing campaign
- This campaign is about helping people realise that they’re not alone, encouraging them to connect with others, and supporting them to boost their wellbeing.
- After Disaster: Responding to the psychological consequences of disasters for children and young people [1.4 MB PDF]
- A free download by Peter Stanley and Sarah Williams made available by the NIWA library.
- Books for children
- Non-fiction and fiction titles about earthquakes for children available in our catalogue.
Welfare and community support
- Community resilience
- Information provided by the Christchurch City Council about earthquake community funding. Other local welfare agencies include Red Cross and Salvation Army.
- Canterbury Earthquake Temporary Accommodation Service
- Official website providing temporary accommodation matching, social services coordination and financial assistance.
- CanCERN - Canterbury Communities’ Earthquake Recovery Network
- Network of Residents Association and Community Group representatives from the earthquake-affected neighbourhoods of Canterbury. Aims for full community engagement in recovery processes and to work in partnership with recovery agencies.
- Sorted - Financial Advice
- Free professional advice on Financial Literacy and Retirement Income on the Sorted website.
- Rebuild Christchurch
- An independent community group provided to serve the residents of Christchurch. It also has a Facebook page which has lots of updated news and photos.
- Project to provide a popup shopping mall in the City Mall in central Christchurch.
- Christchurch earthquake update
- Information for tourists and tourism operators from Christchurch and Canterbury Tourism.
- Collaborate Canterbury
- Collaborate Canterbury is managed by the Canterbury Employers’ Chamber of Commerce (CECC).
Arts, heritage and environment initiatives
- Gap Filler
- Initiative which aims to temporarily activate vacant sites within Christchurch with creative projects such as community fairs, film shows and performances, exhibitions.
- Greening the rubble
- Christchurch group dedicated to developing green spots, biodiversity hubs, pocket parks and community gardens on the sites of removed buildings.
- University of Canterbury CEISMIC Digital Archive is designed to preserve the memories and experiences of people of the Canterbury region. Includes Quakes Stories, and Kete Christchurch.
- Life in Vacant Spaces
- A group dedicated to inspiring the people of Christchurch to activate the city’s vacant sites with creative, intriguing and entrepreneurial transitional projects.