Ōrua Paeroa was a Māori kaika at North New Brighton near to Travis Wetland situated on the site of present day QEII Park. This complex was the site of the 1974 Commonwealth Games hosted by Christchurch City. Sadly, QEII Park was demolished after extensive damage to the park following the 2011 earthquakes.
Ōrua Paeroa was known as the place where strong east winds blew in from the sea. It was used primarily as a mahinga kai and abounded with eels and birdlife.
In the past this wetland area had an opening that extended to the sea and Ngāi Tahu traditions recall that shark could be caught here at certain times of the year.
The whare of Ōrua Paeroa were still standing in the mid 19th century but were burnt down in 1862 when a European settler obtained crown grant of the land.
The beach nearby was also known as Ōrua Paeroa.
- Te Maire Tau, Anake Goodall, David Palmer & Rakiihia Tau, Te Whakatau Kaupapa: Ngāi Tahu Resource Management Strategy for the Canterbury Region, Aoraki Press, 1990
- W. A. Taylor, Lore and History of the South Island Māori, Bascands, Christchurch: NZ, 1952