Top 10 budgeting tips
Some great resources to help you save money and manage your budget.
1. Join the library
A library card gives you access to free resources. Libraries also offer free computer and internet access, free or low-cost learning programmes and events in our libraries.
2. Set yourself a budget
- Explore the Sorted budget advice pages.
- Check out Community organisations offering budgeting help.
- Search our catalogue for personal finances.
3. Reduce your travel costs
Check the information at Energy Efficient Travel.
4. Reduce your energy costs
Try our Power saving tips resource.
5. Sell up your surplus
- Sites like Trade Me and Sella.
- Catalogues help you find the value of stamps, coins, antiques and other collectables.
- Value your stuff with Carter's Price Guides to Antiques database - access with your library card and Password / PIN, or at your library.
6. Shop smart
- How to cut your shopping bill
- Trade Me
- Consumer magazine and website to find out the best value, best-performed products and services.
7. Make your own
- Our Good Life section has some great suggestions for useful resources.
- Make your own bread, clothes and furniture.
- Felt is a New Zealand site where you can buy and sell new hand-crafted items.
- Etsy is an American version for hand-crafted items.
8. Grow your own
See the resources in our Gardening guide.
9. Do it yourself
Fix your car or do up your house. The library has a collection of do it yourself books, magazines and videos and DVDs.
10. Cheap fun
Find parks, walking tracks, libraries, museums and local events which are often free.
- CINCH - clubs, groups and organisations for all kinds of interests and activities.
- Christchurch City Council What's On lists public events in Christchurch