Christchurch City Libraries lists literary prize winners and links to catalogue searches, but we may not hold copies of all titles mentioned.
The New Zealand Best First Book Award is one of eight awards organised and administered by Booksellers New Zealand and supported by Creative New Zealand and Book Tokens (NZ) Ltd. Until 2014 the awards were sponsored by NZ Post. Prior to 1997, the awards were known as the AIM Children’s Book Awards.
See more New Zealand Book Awards for Children and Young Adults and other kids' literary prize winners.
- Allis the little tractor Sophie Siers, illustrated by Helen Kerridge
- Māori art for kids Julie Noanoa and Norm Heke
- A necklace of souls R. L. Stedman
- Reach Hugh Brown
- Super Finn Leonie Agnew
- Hollie Chips Anna Gowan
- The bone tiki David Hair
- Violence 101 Denis Wright
- Out of the egg Tina Matthews
- The three fishing brothers Gruff Ben Galbraith
- Cross tides Lorraine Orman
- Thunder Road Ted Dawe
- Buddy V. M. Jones
- Brodie (Best First Book Illustrator) Joy Cowley; illustrated by Chris Mousdale
- No award
- 2Much4U Vince Ford
- Footsteps of the gods Hana Hiraina Erlbeck; illustrated by Manawa-Ote-Rangi Waipara
- Trapped Judy Knox
- Reliable friendly girls Jane Westaway
Prior to 1997 - see Aim First Book