MiNDFOOD is a popular magazine that never lasts long on the shelves. Marketing promotes it as containing:
intelligent, inspirational ideas and information. A completely integrated concept, MiNDFOOD the magazine brings you in depth features on society, wellness, environment, culture, travel and food. It’s all about Smart Thinking.
So when MiNDFOOD publishes its Trends for the Future, we should surely sit up and listen. Bear in mind however that these trends are very much focused towards the MiNDFOOD reader - urbane, "mindful", middle-class and with a spare bob or two.
Later Learning: This is an area that the Library excels in. Research suggests that career changes, redundancies and retirement mean we have a lifetime of learning ahead of us. The CINCH directory is the ideal place to start looking for that next option.
Child's Play: You can't but help but have noticed the proliferation of colouring books on sale this Christmas. Although this is not an area the Library can contribute to, a previous blog post has a suggestion for Zentangles that could well satisfy the need to doodle and colour. There are also many books in the craft section that can help you to glitter and glue to your heart's content.
Fashion to the people: Apparently runway shows are opening up to the masses with social media making them no longer the realm of the elite. Here are some tips to help you keep one step ahead of the next big thing.
- Street fashion photography: taking stylish pictures on the concrete runway
- Designers on Instagram: #fashion
Inside and out: Individuality is becoming the essence of living environments... apparently. I suspect the vast majority of us already know this, not having the time, money or inclination to redecorate in the latest trends each year, however here are two books that encourage your unique style.
- Furniture hacks: and other creative updates for a unique and stylish home
- The nesting place: it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful
Travel Smarter: It's all about Wellness Tourism, Eco Tourism and Adventure Travel.
- Volunteer vacations: short-term adventures that will benefit you and others
- The art of free travel: a frugal family adventure An Australian family set off on a road trip like no other, bartering, foraging and living on a diet of free food.
- Designed for the future: 80 practical ideas for a sustainable world A series of essays that outline how a project or design practice has created a more positive relationship between the built and natural environments, alongside the multitude of complex challenges that face us in the 21st century.
- Happy city: transforming our lives through urban design
Lifestyle Matters: It's all about co-housing, communities and community living and "rural retreats"
- Collective housing
- How we live now: redefining home and family in the 21st century explores everything from multi-generational homes to cohousing communities where one's "family" is made up of friends and neighbours to couples "living apart together" to single-living.
Mindfulness goes mainstream: You can be mindful in the kitchen, the bedroom and have mindful children and cats. We are now mindful when we eat, exercise and work. In fact Mindfulness seems to have permeated almost every aspect of the Library collection.