Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre is located at 341 Halswell Road.
- Library hours
- The Christchurch City Council service desk is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
- The numbers 7, 100, and 125 bus routes stop nearby. See the Metroinfo timetables for more information.
- Metrocard top-up service is available at the CCC service desk, Monday to Friday 9am to 7pm and 10am to 5pm weekends.
- Bikestands outside library
- Parking: outside library, with mobility access parks
Services and Facilities
- Services available at all Christchurch City Libraries
- Book a librarian one on one sessions
- AED (Automated External Defibrillator)
- Events at Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre
- View photos of the library on Flickr
Computers and technology
- Auahatanga - Creative Spaces including laser cutting; vinyl printing; 3D printing; sewing, overlocker, and embroidery machines; heat press; badge maker; craft cutter; and photo, slide, and film scanner. Find out more about what is available at our Auahatanga - Creative Spaces.
- Public internet access computers:
- 16 free internet PCs
- 1 family history PC
- 3 children’s PCs
- 30 Learning Centre PCs
- Free wireless internet access
- Printing and photocopying
- Scan to email or USB
Total library collection size: 45,000 items
- Fiction and nonfiction
- CDs and DVDs
- Children’s and young adults’ material
- Stories to go
- Large print and Talking books
- Ngā Pounamu Māori
- World Languages Collection
- English Language Skills collection
Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre includes two large venues catering for up to 450 people (300 in one space and 150 in the other), a medium-sized space for up to 40 people and four smaller meeting rooms. Kitchen and function centre facilities are included.
All spaces are bookable and available to the public and community groups.
Bookings and enquiries about the spaces for hire can be made by calling the Christchurch City Council on (03) 941 8999 or 0800 800 169.
The community meeting spaces are multi-use facilities available for community activities and private social functions. They include two large spaces catering for up to a total of 300 people and a smaller room for up to 30 people.
Find out more about the meeting rooms and pricing.
Monday to Friday - 9am to 4.30pm
Saturday and Sunday - 10am to 4pm
Te Hāpua Halswell Summer Pool
The Te Hāpua Halswell Summer Pool is closed, and will re-open in summer 2023 / 2024.
Te Kete Wānanga o Ōtūmatua
How Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre got its name
Information from the May 2015 newsletter.
In a competition run from December 2014 to January 2015, Christchurch City Council received 162 valid suggestions. A panel of Council staff and rūnanga sorted through the entries and selected six finalists, which were voted on by the public with 766 votes between them. The winning suggestion was “The Halswell Centre”.
Throughout the naming process, the Council consulted with Mahaanui Kurataiao Ltd (MKT) and the two local rūnanga on a te reo Māori name for the facility to complement the competition name winner and reflect the local area. The consensus was for Te Hāpua, which roughly translates to “the lagoons”. This refers to the outdoor pool, as well as the location of the complex alongside Te Tauawa-a-Maka/Nottingham Stream, an upper tributary of the Huritini/Halswell River. This is in turn an important source of Lake Ellesmere (Te Waihora), which is very important to rūnanga.
Listen to the Māori name [106KB MP3]
About the development of Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre
The Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre, located at 341 Halswell Road opened Saturday 28 November 2015.
Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre opened on Saturday 28 November 2015 at 341 Halswell Road.
Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre is a new library and community facility built in south-west Christchurch. It includes a library with varied spaces for a range of activities, several large meeting rooms, inclusive community spaces and a Customer Service Desk. There is also a 5,000 square metre outdoor area that includes a swimming pool. The Centre is an accessible, welcoming and inclusive community resource for all.