Our collection of newspapers — current and historical — covers local and national publications, plus the Australian Financial Review. You can read paper copies of some newspapers and get online access to thousands more. This page provides links to help you explore our newspaper collections.
See our newspaper holdings page to find the titles our libraries hold.
- A selection of New Zealand daily newspapers, with a focus on Christchurch.
- A comprehensive South Island coverage.
- A representative selection of North Island newspapers.
Overseas newspapers (with the exception of the Australian Financial Review) will be provided in electronic format only via free internet access to PressReader and individual publication websites.
How long do we keep newspapers?
Newspapers are held for one month. Historical copies of The Press and The Star are available on microfilm on Tuakiri | Identity, Level 2,Tūranga. Search the catalogue or contact us for more information about a specific title.
Access newspapers online
Digital versions of most New Zealand and overseas newspapers are available online. As well as the various New Zealand newspaper websites, our eResources include many New Zealand newspapers. Use at a library or enter your library card and password / PIN.
- PressReader has full-page replicas of current print editions, including editorial content, graphics and advertising. Most major New Zealand dailies are available, including their special publications. Back issues are available for up to ninety days; stories and pages can be printed, saved or emailed.
- Australia/New Zealand Reference Centre Plus
- Leading Australian, New Zealand and international periodicals in full text, reference books, biographies and images.
Printing and photocopying newspapers
Single paper copies of newspapers can be photocopied. Bound newspapers cannot be photocopied. Microprints, which are like photocopies, can be taken from the microfilm on reader-printers.