Parachutist free-falling from a Gipsy Moth over Christchurch: Picturing Canterbury

The ZK-AAW was a Gypsy Moth which belonged to the Canterbury Aero Club and was used to train pilots. In 1933 it was used as a support plane for a parachute drop performed by "Scotty" Frazer. In 1935, while being flown by J.J. Busch on a return flight from Rangiora to the Wigram aerodrome, it…
View More about Parachutist free-falling from a Gipsy Moth over Christchurch: Picturing Canterbury

Mr George King who began breeding ostriches for their feathers on his Burwood property in 1893: Picturing Canterbury

Mr George King who began breeding ostriches for their feathers on his Burwood property in 1893 [189-?].   George King was born in 1850 to Irish immigrant parents at Richmond, Sydney. Around 1872 he arrived in Christchurch and started the auctioneering firm Geo. King and Co. Ostrich farming is what Mr King was most well known for…
View More about Mr George King who began breeding ostriches for their feathers on his Burwood property in 1893: Picturing Canterbury

Johnson’s Fishponds, the Aquarium at 105 Clarendon Terrace, Opawa: Picturing Canterbury

Johnson's Fishponds, the Aquarium at 105 Clarendon Terrace, Opawa [ca. 1900].   In 1875 Andrew Mensal Johnson (d. 1916) established a fish hatchery and aquarium at Opawa, on the south bank of the Heathcote River, calling it Troutdale Farm. It became popular as a picnic grounds until it closed in the early 1930s. For further information…
View More about Johnson’s Fishponds, the Aquarium at 105 Clarendon Terrace, Opawa: Picturing Canterbury

Daresbury Rookery, 67 Fendalton Road, Christchurch: Picturing Canterbury

Daresbury Rookery, 67 Fendalton Road, Christchurch [ca. 1902]. This photograph shows Daresbury, a 50-room house on 25 acres, designed by S. Hurst Seager and built between 1897 and 1901 for George Humphreys (1848 or 9-1934), co-founder of the wine and spirits merchants Fletcher Humphries. Until 1945 the property was called Daresbury Rookery because of a colony…
View More about Daresbury Rookery, 67 Fendalton Road, Christchurch: Picturing Canterbury

St. Mary’s Bridle Path Road, Heathcote – Snow – Church next door to “Hillwood”: Picturing Canterbury

St. Mary's Bridle Path Road, Heathcote - Snow - Church next door to “Hillwood”. Date: 1900s. Built in 1860, St Mary's Anglican church in Heathcote was originally situated on Bridle Path Road. Additions were made to the church building in 1914. In 1925 the building was relocated to its current location on the corner of Martindales and Truscotts…
View More about St. Mary’s Bridle Path Road, Heathcote – Snow – Church next door to “Hillwood”: Picturing Canterbury

A luncheon interval on Mt Sebastopol while on a ski trip at Mount Cook National Park: Picturing Canterbury

Do you have any photographs of skiing in Canterbury? If so, feel free to contribute to our collection.   Kete Christchurch is a collection of photographs and stories about Christchurch and Canterbury, past and present. Anyone can join and contribute. Visit Kete Christchurch View more Picturing Canterbury posts A Luncheon Interval On Mt Sebastopol While On A Ski Trip At…
View More about A luncheon interval on Mt Sebastopol while on a ski trip at Mount Cook National Park: Picturing Canterbury

The family of Arthur John Inwood (1850-1932) and his wife Angelina (1860?-1919) pictured outside their dwelling: Picturing Canterbury

Arthur Inwood farmed in the Burwood area and gave his name to Inwoods Road.   Do you have any photographs of early Burwood? If so, feel free to contribute to our collection. Kete Christchurch is a collection of photographs and stories about Christchurch and Canterbury, past and present. Anyone can join and contribute. Visit Kete Christchurch View more Picturing…
View More about The family of Arthur John Inwood (1850-1932) and his wife Angelina (1860?-1919) pictured outside their dwelling: Picturing Canterbury
1 - 10 of 128