10 years ago - 4.35am on Saturday 4 September 2010 - the Canterbury region was rocked by a magnitude 7.1 earthquake. The earthquake was based near Darfield, about 40 kms west of Christchurch. Many buildings were damaged, and some people were injured.
Look back in time ...
It has been 10 years since we were rocked by a 7.1 magnitude earthquake at 4.35am on the 4th of September 2010. This began a sequence of further earthquakes and aftershocks that changed our lives and the landscape we live in forever.
More albums on the Discovery Wall:
More photos and stories:
- Kete Christchurch earthquake images
- See more images in our Flickr set After the earthquake
- 4 September 2010 DigitalNZ set
- UC CEISMIC Earthquake Digital Archive
- Images in Canterbury Stories
Our blog posts looking back:
- That was then, this is now – 4 September 2010 / 4 September 2015
- Five years ago: 4 September 2010
- That was then, but this is now: 4 September 2010 / 4 September 2014
- 4 September 2014: Four years ago: 4 September 2010
- 4 September 2013: Looking back at 4 September 2010
- 4 September 2012: We woke up. 4.35am
- 4 September 2011: We are history – How earthquakes have connected us with the past and future