Te Vaiaho o te Gagana Tokelau - Tokelau Language Week
Mālo ni. Te Vaiaho o te Gagana Tokelau - Tokelau Language Week is on from Sunday 22 to Saturday 28 October 2023.
Tokelau Language Week - Te Vaiaho o te Gagana Tokelau celebrates the culture and language of the more than 8,676 people of Tokelauan heritage who live in New Zealand. According to the 2018 Census, 138 people of Tokelauan heritage reside in Christchurch.
The 2022 theme was:
"Halahala ki vavau, kae ke mau ki pale o Tokelau"
"To plan for the future is to understand the past."
This page highlights our resources about Tokelau and the Tokelauan language.
- Visit the Ministry for Pacific Peoples Tokelau Language Week page for more resources.
- Like the Tokelau Language Week Facebook page.
Tokelau general resources
Mālo ni. Here is a selection of Tokelauan resources that cover language, culture and protocols. Resources for children and adults.
Find Tokelauan resources in our collection
- Bilingual Tokelauan-English dictionaries
- Tokelau in Britannnica Library Adults
- Tokelau in World Book Advanced
Tokelauan language and culture
- Tokelau Language Week Ministry of Pacific Peoples
- Vaiaho o te Gagana Tokelau Facebook page
- Learn Tokelauan introductory Tokelau phrases
- Tokelau Language Week from Te Kete Ipurangi, including links to an online Tokelau dictionary
- 7 things you should know about Tokelau blog post from Te Papa Tongarewa
Statistics New Zealand, 2018 Census Tokelauan ethnic group
Resources focusing on Pacific knowledge, heritage & identity, and supporting the learning and retention of Pacific languages and culture.